Current affairs (2nd APRIL)
CENTRE ON INTEREST RATES OF SMALL SAVINGS SCHEME
- The government has withdrawn its order slashing interest rates on small savings schemes, including National Savings Certificates (NSC) and Public Provident Fund (PPF), for the first quarter of 2021-22.
- Earlier on March 31, 2021, the Finance Ministry had announced a sharp cut in interest rates for small savings schemes by 50-110 basis points. Interest rates for small savings schemes are notified on a quarterly basis.
- However, the orders issued were withdrawn by the government on April 01, 2021.
- This marks the fourth consecutive quarter that the government has maintained the rates on such schemes that are effective from April 1 and remain in effect till June 30, 2021.
FACEBOOK & GOOGLE TO BUILD ECHO & BIFROST
- Facebook and Google are planning to build new subsea cables from the US to Singapore and Indonesia.
- Facebook has partnered with leading regional and global partners to build two new subsea cables Echo and Bifrost that will provide vital new connections between the Asia-Pacific region and North America.
- While Google is only investing in Echo. These cables will increase overall transpacific capacity by 70 per cent.
- These projects are still subject to regulatory approvals, when completed, these cables are expected to deliver much-needed Internet capacity, redundancy, and reliability.
- The announcements come at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic has increased the need for reliable Internet access.
- Google CEO: Sundar Pichai.
- Google Founded: 4 September 1998, California, United States.
- Google Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin.
- Chief Executive Officer of Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg.
- Facebook Headquarters: California, US.
FOURTH BATCH OF RAFALE JETS LANDED IN INDIA
- The fourth batch of three Rafale fighter jets landed in India after flying non-stop from Istres Air Base France, in a further boost to the strike capability of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The Rafale fighter jets were provided mid-air refuelling by air force tankers of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- The three Rafale fighter aircraft which took off from France for India were scheduled to land at the Jamnagar airbase. The planes equipped with the Hammer missiles have enhanced their capability to carry out air-to-ground strikes like the one in Balakot.
MILITARY EXERCISE 'SHANTIR OGROSHENA' 2021
- A multinational Military Exercise named ‘SHANTIR OGROSHENA’ 2021 (Front Runner of the Peace) is scheduled to be held in Bangladesh from April 04 to 12, 2021.
- The theme of the exercise is “Robust Peace Keeping Operations”. The exercise is being held to commemorate the birth centenary of Bangladesh ‘Father of the Nation’ Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and mark glorious 50 years of liberation of the country.
- The Indian Army is also participating in this multinational exercise, along with a contingent of the Royal Bhutan Army, Sri Lankan Army and Bangladesh Army.
- The Indian contingent will comprise 30 personnel including Officers, JCOs and Jawans of a Battalion from The DOGRA Regiment.
- USA, UK, Turkey, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore will also attend the exercise as Military observers.
RAJNIKANTH HONOURED WITH DADASAHEB PHALKE AWARD
- The legendary actor Rajinikanth has been selected to be honoured with the 51st Dadasaheb Phalke Awards, the highest film honour in India.
- The iconic actor Rajinikanth will receive the Dadasaheb Phalke award for 2019 for his stupendous contribution to Indian cinema. Rajinikanth will receive the Dadasaheb Phalke Award on May 3, 2021.
- Rajinikanth is the 12th South Indian to get this award. Legends like Dr Rajkumar, Akkineni Nageshwar Rao, K Balachander have been awarded before.
- The legendary actor has been honoured with the Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan in the past.
- The jury this year for the prestigious award included playback icon Asha Bhosle, director-producer Subhash Ghai, Malayalam superstar Mohanlal, music composer and singer Shankar Mahadevan and Biswajeet Chatterjee.
SUBHASH KUMAR APPOINTED AS CMD OF ONGC
- Subhash Kumar has assumed the additional charge as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) on April 01, 2021.
- He is serving as Director (Finance) at ONGC. Kumar succeeds incumbent CMD, Shashi Shanker, who superannuated on March 31, 2021.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is an Indian government owned enterprise and multinational crude oil and gas entity. Its registered office is in New Delhi.
- Its top official is designated as Chairman,CEO and Managing Director who is a civil servant of IAS cadre. It is owned by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas , Government of India .
- It is the largest oil and gas exploration and production company in the country, and produces around 70% of India's crude oil (equivalent to around 57% of the country's total demand) and around 84% of its natural gas.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Headquarters: Vasant Kunj, Delhi.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation CEO: Shashi Shanker (1 Oct 2017–).
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Founder: Government of India.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Founded: 14 August 1956.
WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY: 2ND APRIL
- The World Autism Awareness Day is observed internationally on 2 April every year, to raise awareness about people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) throughout the world.
- The 2021 World Autism Awareness Day observance will address these issues through a virtual event that will include moderated panel discussions with individuals on the autism spectrum who have themselves experienced the challenges and seen these new opportunities in the employment market.
- The very first World Autism Day was observed in the year 2008 on April 2. It was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 18 December 2007. World Autism Day is one of only seven official health-specific UN Days.
- Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviours, speech and nonverbal communication.
- Autism is a development disorder. The disorder is characterized by difficulties with social interaction and communication which may also include restricted and repetitive behaviour.
- The signs of Autism are often noticed by the parents of the child during the first three years. These signs develop gradually.