Current affairs (3RD APRIL)
ARTICLE 244 (A) OF THE CONSTITUTION
- Rahul Gandhi (Congress leader) promised in a video that Article 244 (A) of the Constitution will be implemented to safeguard the interests of the people in most tribal areas of Assam.
- Article 244(A) of the Constitution allows the establishment of "autonomous states" in certain tribal areas of Assam. The Congress government inserted it into the Constitution in 1969. It also includes the provisions of the legislature and the Council of Ministers.
- The Sixth Schedule of the Constitution (Articles 244(2) and 275(1)) is a special provision that allows the implementation of decentralized and greater governance in certain tribal areas in the northeast through autonomous councils managed by elected representatives.
- If we talk about Assam, then Karbi Anglong, West Karbi, Dima Hasao and the mountainous areas of the Bodo territories are all within the provisions of the sixth schedule. On the other hand, Article 244(A) provides more autonomous power for tribal areas.
GHAZIABAD NAGAR NIGAM LISTED ITSELF AT BSE
- Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam listed itself at BSE and successfully raised Rs. 150 Crores by issuing Municipal Bond on Private Placement Basis using BSE BOND.
- This is the first-ever green bond issuance by any Municipal Corporation in the country. The money will be used for the construction of a tertiary sewage treatment plant at Indirapuram in Ghaziabad.
- The money will be used to fund the project partly which is worth Rs 240 crore. This treatment plant will enable the sewage water to be used for industries after treatment.
- Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam is the second Municipal Corporation to raise funds in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, Lucknow Municipal Corporation had listed itself at BSE.
MAHARASHTRA: AMBOLI AS BIODIVERSITY HERITAGE SITE
- The Maharashtra government has declared an area at Amboli in Western ghats in Sindhudurg district, where a rare freshwater fish species was discovered, as a biodiversity heritage site.
- Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray”s son Tejas Thackeray, who is a wildlife researcher, and his team had discovered the new freshwater fish species – Schistura Hiranyakeshi” near Amboli in Sawantwadi tehsil of Sindhudurg district.
- The State government issued a notification declaring the area at Amboli as a biodiversity heritage site. Schistura is a small and colourful fish that lives in water and streams in an abundance of oxygen.
- Earlier, the State government had declared the Glory of Allapalli in Gadchiroli district, Landor Khori Park in Jalgaon, Ganesh Khind in Pune, myristica swamp vegetation in Sindhudurg district as biodiversity heritage sites.
- The discoveries of the freshwater fish species were published in the International Journal of Ichthyology in the October 2020 edition by Tejas Thackeray and co-authors.
BR AMBEDKAR BIRTHDAY DECLARED AS PUBLIC HOLIDAY
- The central government has declared April 14, Dr BR Ambedkar’s birthday a public holiday. Dr B R Ambedkar was the sculptor of the Indian Constitution and the country already celebrates his birthday as Ambedkar Jayanti every year.
- The government has announced that from this year 14th April will be declared as a public holiday. It will be Ambedkar’s 130th birth anniversary on April 14, 2021.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar’s original name is Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar. His father Ramji Sakpal was a Subedar in the army and his mother Bhimbai Kapal was a housewife.
- The family settled in Mumbai in 1897 and Babasaheb enrolled at Elphinstone High School. After matriculation, he took admission to Elphinstone College in 1907.
- He graduated from Bombay University in 1912 with a degree in Economics and Political Science. Babasaheb Ambedkar was a renowned social reformer and a Dalit icon, he spoke unequivocally against the inequality, injustice, and discrimination faced by the members of the Dalit community.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar died on December 6 in 1956. In 1990, he was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award.
LIGHT WEIGHT BULLET PROOF JACKET BY DRDO
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has congratulated DRDO and DMSRDE Kanpur for developing a LightWeight Bullet Proof Jacket.
- India needs more such innovative product design and development to realize the dream of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- DMSRDE Kanpur, a DRDO laboratory has developed a LightWeight Bullet Proof Jacket weighing 9 kg meeting the qualitative requirements of the Indian Army.
- The Front Hard Armour Panel jacket was tested successfully at TBRL Chandigarh and met relevant BIS standards.
- Chairman DRDO: Dr G Satheesh Reddy.
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi.
- DRDO Established:
INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN'S BOOK DAY: 2ND APRIL
- International Children’s Book Day (ICBD) is organised annually on 2nd April since 1967, by the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY), an international non-profit organization, to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children’s books.
- Theme 2021: “The Music of Words.”
- Each year a different National Section of IBBY has the opportunity to be the international sponsor of ICBD and decide upon a theme. The IBBY United States is the sponsor for International Children’s Book Day 2021.
- International Board on Books for Young People Founder: Jella Lepman.
- International Board on Books for Young People Founded: 1953, Zürich, Switzerland.
- International Board on Books for Young People Headquarters: Basel, Switzerland.
MALLIKA SRINIVASAN APPOINTED AS CMD OF PESB
- Chairman and Managing Director of Tractors and Farm Equipment (TAFE) Limited, Mallika Srinivasan has been appointed as the chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB), an order issued by the personnel ministry.
- This is for the first time that a private sector specialist has been appointed as the head of the PESB, responsible for the appointment of top management posts in the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Srinivasan as the chairperson of PESB for a period of three years from the date of assumption of charge, or until the attainment of the age of 65 years.
- Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions: Narendra Modi.
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions: Jitendra Singh.