Current affairs (9TH JANUARY)
INTERNATIONAL AKHAND CONFERENCE 'EDUCON 2020'
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has inaugurated the two-day Virtual International Akhand Conference ‘EDUCON 2020’ through video conferencing.
- This two-day International Conference is being organized by the Central University of Punjab, Bathinda (CUPB) in collaboration with the Global Educational Research Association (GERA).
- The focal theme of EDUCON-2020 is Envisioning Education for Transforming Youth to Restore Global Peace.
- This conference is the first of its kind in India where scholars across the world would be continuously having non-stop marathon dialogue sessions for 31 hours exploring the possibilities of the use of ICT in the higher education to promote the equitable quality education in India.
- Further, the conference will also provide a platform for discussions on emerging trends in education viz., likely scenario of higher education and school education by 2050
- Other objectives of conference includes developing disruptive technologies for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) Education, training youth for strategic future jobs in Universities, the skill training programme for future graduates and relevance of ancient education system in 21st century.
KARNATAKA UNVEILED KRISHI SANJEEVANI VANS
- The Chief Minister of Karnataka, B.S. Yediyurappa flagged off 40 Krishi Sanjeevani vans in Bengaluru.
- These vans have been launched by the state Agriculture Department with Central assistance under National Krishi Vikas Yojana to take up this novel programme.
- To take labs to the agriculture fields, study the conditions and address the needs of the farmers about pest control, the fertility of the soil, weeds and suitable crops in the existing conditions so that farmers get support for their farming techniques.
- Depending on the soil, water and pests inflicting the crops, the Agriculture Department personnel can suggest remedies.
- Chief Minister of Karnataka: S. Yediyurappa
- Governor of Karnataka: Vajubhai Vala.
COMMITTEE TO PROTECT LADAKH'S LANGUAGE & CULTURE
- A 10-member delegation from Ladakh met Union home minister Amit Shah has urged the government to protect Ladakh’s language, culture and land.
- The Central Government has decided to form a committee to protect the unique language, cultural identity and land of Ladakh. The Committee will be headed by the Minister of State for Home G Kishan Reddy.
- This committee will also ensure citizen’s participation in the development of the Union Territory.
- The other members of the committee will include elected representatives from Ladakh, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, central government, and the Ladakh administration.
ELON MUSK BECOMES WORLD'S RICHEST MAN
- According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Tesla CEO Elon Musk overtakes Amazon’s Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person. Elon Musk had a net worth of more than $188.5 billion.
- A 6% rise in Tesla (TSLA) shares early Thursday lifted the value of its CEO’s stock holdings and options by $10 billion, taking his net worth to about $188.5 billion.
- A more modest rise of less than 2% lifted Bezos’ Amazon (AMZN) shares by about $3 billion, putting his net worth at $187 billion. Bill Gates is now a distant third at $132 billion, according to Bloomberg.
- Tesla Founded: 1 July 2003.
- Tesla Headquarters: California, United States.
MANOJ SINHA LAUNCHED APP 'SATARK NAGRIK'
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has launched Mobile Application ‘Satark Nagrik’ and Departmental Vigilance Officers Portal of J&K Anti Corruption Bureau.
- The Lt Governor observed that the UT Government is taking comprehensive measures for ensuring transparent, accountable, and responsive governance.
- The mobile application launched today has been developed with a purpose to facilitate seamless flow of information about corruption and enable citizens to submit their grievances with ease and mobility.
- Any citizen having an android based device can download the application from play store. A unique ID number will be allotted at the time of registration of grievance which later can be used to track the status of grievance.
- The Departmental Vigilance Officers (DVO) Portal has been designed to enable an online communication channel with the DVOs of various departments.
- In certain cases, the complaints are related to ongoing works, current recruitments, and payments yet to be made against contracts etc.
- By referring these matters to DVOs, violations/ shortcomings can immediately be rectified and loss to the state exchequer can be prevented.
BANDHAN BANK UNVEILS ACCOUNT FOR ARMY PERSONNEL
- Private lender Bandhan Bank has signed an agreement with the Indian Army to provide banking services to the personnel of the force.
- The bank got the mandate to maintain and a Bank Shaurya Salary Account of the Army personnel. Bandhan Bank Shaurya Salary Account will have a zero balance facility.
- The Shaurya Salary Account also offers protection for self and assets.
- They will be offered other preferential services such as six per cent interest on balance over Rs one lakh, unlimited free ATM transactions across ATMs, waiver of issuance and annual charge on Shaurya Visa Platinum Debit Card and unlimited free NEFT/RTGS/IMPS/DD transactions.
- This includes free personal accident insurance of Rs 30 lakh, air accident cover of Rs 1 crore and free educational benefit of up to Rs 1 lakh per year for four years to a dependent child in case of accidental death of the account holder.
- Bandhan Bank MD & CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh.
- Bandhan Bank HQ: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Bandhan Bank Founded: 2001.
JUSTICE DHULIA APPOINTED CJ OF GUWAHATI HIGH COURT
- Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia appointed as Chief Justice of the Guwahati High Court informed the Ministry of Law and Justice.
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind in the exercise of the power conferred by clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India, appointed Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia, Judge of the Uttarakhand High Court, as Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court.
- Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia, was enrolled as an Advocate on July 7, 1986, and practised in the Allahabad and Uttarakhand High Courts in Civil, Constitutional, Service, and Labour matters and has specialized in Service and Constitutional matters.
- He was appointed as a permanent judge of the Uttarakhand High Court on November 1, 2008.
- Chief Minister of Assam: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor of Assam: Prof. Jagdish Mukhi.