Current affairs (16TH FEBRUARY)
MAHATMA GANDHI NATIONAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has launched the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF) Program in all districts of India.
- The program had previously operated in 69 districts. Researchers of the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship Program will gain academic expertise and technical capabilities. Professional knowledge will help them understand the overall skills ecosystem. It will also help companions to join the District Skill Committees.
- The ministry of skill development also cooperates with the Kerala Institute of Local Administration to carry out capacity-building programs for districts from the states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Puducherry and Lakshadweep. The partnership between the two will focus more on improving the overall quality of skills training.
- The Ministry emphasized that the fellowship program and the recently launched Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana 3.0 and other academic partnerships reached under the SANKALP program with IITs, IIMs, KILA, and GIZ-IGVET will help strengthen regional capabilities and ensure Demand-driven skills.
TURKEY'S TEN-YEAR SPACE PROGRAM
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced an ambitious ten-year space program that includes a mission to the moon, sending Turkish astronauts into space and developing international viable satellite system.
- Turkey plans to establish a "first contact with the moon" on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the nation in 2023.
- Turkey established the Turkish Space Agency (TUA) in 2018, aiming to include a few other countries in the space program.
- The first phase of the lunar mission will be completed under international cooperation. The second phase of the mission will use Turkish rockets.
11TH RASHTRIYA SANSKRITI MAHOTSAV IN WB
- The Governor of West Bengal, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar inaugurated the 11th Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav at Cooch Behar Palace at West Bengal.
- The Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Culture, organised under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat Programme, since 2015, to celebrate the idea of unity in diversity.
- The event was inaugurated in the presence of Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism, Shri Prahlad Singh Patel.
- Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav is a platform to showcase, folk and tribal art, dance, music, cuisines, and culture of one state in other states and providing an effective opportunity to the artists and artisans to support their livelihood.
AJAY MATHUR AS NEW DIRECTOR GENERAL OF ISA
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) has announced Dr Ajay Mathur as its new Director-General following his election at the first special assembly of ISA members.
- Dr Mathur replaces Mr Upendra Tripathy, who has served as Director-General since the ISA was founded in 2015.
- ISA accelerates the demand for and use of safe, sustainable, and affordable solar energy for all.
- It aims to mobilize over $1 trillion USD of investment into solar projects by 2030 through focused advocacy, policy and regulatory support, capacity building, and overcoming perceived investment barriers.
- International Solar Alliance Headquarters:
- International Solar Alliance Founded: 30 November 2015.
- International Solar AllianceFounded: Paris, France.
MAHARASHTRA GOVT. SIGNED MOU WITH FLIPKART
- Maharashtra government has signed an MoU with Flipkart to promote wooden toys, local artefacts, handicrafts.
- Maharashtra Small Industries Development Corporation and Maharashtra State Khadi & Village Industries Board have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Flipkart.
- This MoU will enable artisans, weavers, craftsmen & MSMEs from Maharashtra to showcase their products to millions of customers in India.
- Flipkart will provide free training for packaging and branding to all these manufacturers. Also, product photography will also be done by the company.
DELHI POLICE AWARDED AS BEST MARCHING CONTINGENT
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh presented the trophies of best marching contingents of the Republic Day Parade 2021 in New Delhi on February 15, 2021.
- Jat Regimental Centre bagged the trophy of best marching contingent among the Tri-Services while Delhi Police was adjudged as the best marching contingent among the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and other auxiliary services.
- Brigadier Adarsh K Butail and Subedar Major (Honorary Captain) Virendra received the trophy on behalf of the Jat Regimental Centre and Special Commissioner of Police Robin Hibu and Assistant Commissioner of Police Vivek Bhagat, Commander received the trophy on behalf of Delhi Police.
- The two contingents were adjudged on the basis of assessment by two panels of judges.
2ND PHASE OF VIGYAN JYOTI PLAN BEGINS
- The second phase of the Vigyan Jyoti plan began on February 11, 2021. It started on the occasion of the International Women's and Girls' Day in Science.
- The Vigyan Jyoti plan will promote the plan to encourage girls to become interested in science. This will also encourage them to build a career in STEM.
- The plan will be expanded to 50 regions in addition to the other 50 regions in India. Through the study of the past year, the situation will be improved and will be expanded to more regions of the country to empower women.
- The program started because of the insufficient number of women, which is a multifaceted problem. This issue needs to be viewed from all angles. Therefore, new education policies and science, technology and innovation policies will also help to eliminate these restrictions.
- These policies will also help maximize the use of the demographic dividend, thereby achieving rapid development in a short period of time. In turn, this will help increase the number of women engaged in science.
- The Vigyan Jyoti Project is a new project designed to encourage girls to be interested in science and establish careers in this field.
- The plan was initiated by the Ministry of Science and Technology (DST) in December 2019. Its purpose is to create a level playing field for active girls who want to pursue STEM.