Current affairs (20TH JANUARY)
DAVOS AGENDA SUMMIT OF WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping will attend the Davos Agenda Summit. The Davos Agenda Summit was organized by the World Economic Forum.
- The "Great Reset Initiative" of the World Economic Forum will be launched during the Davos Agenda Summit. The theme of the Davos Agenda Summit in 2021 is "Stakeholders Build a Cohesive and Sustainable World".
- US First: The US priority policy of the United States has caused a huge collapse in international agreements in the past few years. It broke several global agreements including the Paris climate change agreement.
- Tensions in Iran: Under the authorization of US President Donald Trump, General Qassem Soleimani was killed by US troops in a drone attack. This has exacerbated geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran.
- Since the Cold War, Russia's annexation of Crimea has put greater pressure on the tensions between the United States and Russia.
- In 2021, the World Economic Forum proposed a new bimodal system at its Davos meeting. One of the meetings is the usual Davos Agenda Summit, and the other is the new big reset initiative.
- Just like the Davos Agenda Summit, the Great Reset Initiative will convene world leaders and will mainly focus on managing the immediate consequences of the COVID-19 crisis. Basically, the big reset plan is being launched to recover the global economy from the COVID-19 crisis.
RAJNATH SINGH LAUNCHED AERO INDIA 21 AVIATION APP
- The Aero India 21 aviation app was launched by the Union Minister of Defence Rajnath Singh. The mobile application will serve as a convenient interactive interface for all questions related to Aero India in 2021.
- The application has the function of supporting Indian aviation attendees, exhibitors and media. Aero India is a biennial air show which was held in Bangalore. It is organized by the National Defence Exhibition Organization under the Ministry of National Defence.
- This year, Aero India’s theme is "Runway from One Billion Opportunities." Aero India 21 is the first mixed event, and business elements will occur both physically and virtually.
- The 1st edition of Aero India was held in the year1996. Aero India 21 aircraft will be consistent with the 2020 draft defence production and export promotion policy.
- The National Defence Exhibition Organization was established in 1981. The Defence Exhibition organization was established to promote the export potential of India’s Defence industry.
- The National Defence Exhibition Organization is responsible for organizing international exhibitions such as DEFEXPO.
VISHWAVIR AHUJA APPOINTED AS CEO OF RBL BANK
- The board of directors of RBL Bank has approved the re-appointment of Vishwavir Ahuja as the Managing Director and CEO of the bank for three years.
- The re-appointment is with effect from June 30, 2021, to June 29, 2024, and the same is being recommended to the Reserve Bank of India and shall be subject to their approval, the bank said in a regulatory filing.
- Prior to joining RBL Bank, he was the MD & CEO of Bank of America, India, from 2001 to 2009. As per the regulatory filing, under Ahuja’s leadership, the deposits of the bank have grown almost 40 times, while advances have grown more than 45 times since 2011.
- RBL Bank Ltd Incorporated: 1943, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913
- RBL Bank Ltd Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
NITIN GADKARI INAUGURATED ROAD SAFETY MONTH
- The first-ever National Road Safety Month was inaugurated by Union Minister for Defence Shri Rajnath Singh and Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME Nitin Gadkari.
- It is the inaugural edition of the National Road Safety Month and is being held in place of National Road Safety Week, which was being observed since the past few years.
- The objective of the month-long programme is to build awareness about road safety and reduce road accidents in India. It will be held till 17 February 2021.
- During this period, nation-wide activities would be conducted throughout the country in association with State Govt./Union Territory administrations, NHAI, NHIDCL, OEMs and NGOs.
- The centre is also taking several measures to reduce road accidents by Restructuring and Strengthening 4E’s of Road safety, which are: Engineering, Education, Enforcement and Emergency care Services.
NO FOREIGN LEADER ON THIS YEAR'S REPUBLIC DAY
- According to External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Anurag Srivastava, due to the global COVID-19 situation, it has been decided that this year there will not be a foreign Head of State or Head of Government as the Chief Guest for the Republic Day event.
- President Ramnath Kovind will take the salute at the parade this time. This will be the first time in over five decades that India will not have a chief guest at the Republic Day parade.
- This comes days after United Kingdom (UK) Prime Minister Boris Johnson cancelled his visit to India. Boris Jonhson was scheduled to be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day parade on January 26.
- In 2020, Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro was the chief guest. The last time such a situation arose was in 1966 when no Chief Guest was present at the event which was held days after the demise of Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri in Tashkent and the death of nuclear scientist Homi Bhabha in an air crash.
- Foreign leaders have graced the Republic Day parades every year barring 1952, 1953 and 1966. Indonesian President Sukarno was the first chief guest to grace Republic Day in 1950.
GI TAG GIVEN TO GUCCHI MUSHROOM
- Jammu and the Kashmir government sought a GI label for Gucci mushrooms. Gucchi mushrooms are expensive and good for health. The price of 500 grams of Gucchi mushrooms is 18,000 rupees. Recently, GI tags were provided to saffron in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Gucchi mushroom is a fungus belonging to the Morchellaceae family. They are light yellow, with large ridges and pits on the hat. They grow on large white stems. Gucchi mushrooms are called "Thuntoo" locally.
- Gucchi mushrooms prefer limestone-based soils. They also grow in acid soil. Gucci mushrooms are usually found in early spring.
- They are called "May mushrooms" in North America. The fruiting time of mushrooms varies from February to July. In Canada, they only appeared after June.
- Gucci mushrooms cannot be grown commercially. They grow in the coniferous forests of North Akanchar, Himalayas, Chamu and Kashmir.
- It takes villagers several months to collect these mushrooms, dry them and bring them to the market. Gucchi mushrooms grow in clusters on rotting wood, humus soil and leaves of logs.
NATIONAL IMMUNIZATION DAY 2020: 18TH JANUARY
- National Immunization Day was designated on 18 January 2021 all over India. In India, approximately 4 million children under 5 years of age who cannot hear are treated for polio to eradicate polio.
- India has completely eradicated polio in 2012. In order to maintain the eradication work, the Indian government organized a "Polio" immunization campaign in accordance with the standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- National Immunization Day is one of the four strategies recommended by the World Health Organization to completely eradicate polio. According to the World Health Organization, NID must be performed twice a year, with an interval of 2 to 4 weeks.
- The country is using two vaccines. The two vaccines include IPV (inactivated polio vaccine) and OPV (oral polio vaccine).
- IPV is a wild-type poliovirus strain that can be used in combination with other vaccines. It includes diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, Haemophilus, hepatitis B and influenza.
- IPV is more effective than OPV. It can improve the intestinal immunity of children who have been immunized with OPV.