Current Affairs (23RD FEBRUARY)
PM MODI INAUGURATED GAS & OIL PROJECT IN ASSAM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation INDMAX Unit at Indian Oil’s Bongaigaon Refinery, Oil India Limited’s Secondary Tank Farm at Madhuban, Dibrugarh, and a Gas Compressor Station at Hebeda Village, Makum, Tinsukia remotely from Dhemaji in Assam.
- He also inaugurated the Dhemaji Engineering College and laid the foundation stone for Sualkuchi Engineering College in Assam.
- During the visit, PM dedicated to the nation and laid the foundation stone of the following projects:
- INDMAX Unit at Indian Oil’s Bongaigaon Refinery
- Oil India Limited’s Secondary Tank Farm at Madhuban, Dibrugarh – Rs 490 crore
- Gas Compressor Station at Hebeda Village, Makum, Tinsukia – Rs 132 Crore
- Dhemaji Engineering College – Rs 45 Crore
- Laid the foundation stone for Sualkuchi Engineering College – Rs 55 crore.
CM OF PUDUCHERRY V. NARAYANASAMY RESIGNED
- The Chief Minister of the Union Territory of Puducherry, V Narayanasamy has submitted the letter of his resignation and his council of ministers on February 22, 2021, to Lieutenant Governor Tamilisai Soundararajan.
- The decision was taken as the Congress-led Government in the UT lost its majority in the House, which are 14.
- Following a series of resignations, the ruling government was reduced to strength of 12. Two MLA resigned in January 2021 while 2 resigned in February 2021.
RAJNATH SINGH LAUNCHED SDC FOR FIRE TRAINING
- Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh has inaugurated Skill Development Centre (SDC) for Fire Safety Training of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) through virtual mode at Pilkhuwa in Uttar Pradesh.
- The first of its kind in India facility has been created by Delhi based DRDO laboratory ‘Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES)’. The SDC DRDO facility will help in developing trained human resources, fire safety technology and products to save precious human lives and valued assets.
- The facility would be utilised for imparting fire prevention and fire-fighting training to the Fire Service personnel of Indian Armed Forces, DRDO, Ordnance Factories, Coast Guard and defence undertakings.
ISRAEL LAUNCHED CORONAVIRUS GREEN PASS SYSTEM
- Israel has launched a coronavirus “green pass” system, which allows people who have been vaccinated to access public facilities that would otherwise be off-limits.
- As of Sunday COVID-19 inoculation is a sort of status symbol in Israel.
- Israelis who have gotten both Pfizer vaccine shots and those who have recovered from the virus get a “Green Pass” certificate in the form of a QR code or printout for people without smart phones.
- The pass allows entry to gyms, swimming pools, hotels, entertainment venues and sporting events. Green Pass privileges and restrictions are raising legal and moral questions.
- Prime Minister of Israel: Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Israel Capital:
- Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel.
DRDO SUCCESSFULLY TEST-FIRED TWO VL-SRSAM
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) has conducted two successful launches of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM).
- DRDO carried out the launch from a static vertical launcher from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha. The launches were monitored by senior scientists from various DRDO labs involved in the design and development of the system.
- During the test launches, flight path and vehicle performance parameters were monitored using flight data, captured by various Range instruments.
- The VL-SRSAM is indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy, VL-SRSAM aims to neutralize various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
- The missiles intercepted the simulated targets with pinpoint accuracy. The missiles were tested for minimum and maximum range. VL-SRSAM with Weapon Control System was deployed during the trials.
HARSH VARDHAN INAUGURATED MISSION INDRADHANUSH 3.0
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister, Dr Harsh Vardhan has launched the Intensified Mission Indradhanush 3.0, (IMI 3.0), to expand immunization coverage across the country.
- The focus of IMI 3.0 will be on children and pregnant women who missed their vaccine doses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The IMI 3.0 will have two rounds, of 15 days each. The first round will begin on February 22, 2021, and the second round will begin on March 22, 2021.
- The vaccination drive will be conducted in pre-identified 250 districts and urban areas across 29 States and UTs in the country to reach out to every dropped out and left out the child and pregnant woman.
- The mission was launched in 2014 to provide affordable and accessible healthcare to all citizens of the country. It aims to immunise all children under the age of 2 years, as well as all pregnant women, against eight vaccine-preventable diseases.
- These diseases are diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, measles, meningitis and Hepatitis B.
UNION BANK OF INDIA WINS HRD CONGRESS AWARD
- Union Bank of India was awarded “Best Service Provider” in Human Resources and also the best institution for “Excellence in Learning & Development” at the 29th Global HRD Congress awards.
- Kalyan Kumar, Chief General Manager, HR was named as “Chief Human Resources Officer of the Year”.
- Global HRD Congress Awards are given to institutions annually for the best HR practices under different categories.
- The eminent jury which consists of the best in the industry will select the organizations taking into account their remarkable achievements in HR.
- Union Bank of India Headquarters:
- Union Bank of India CEO: Rajkiran Rai G.
- Union Bank of India Founded: 11 November 1919.