Current Affairs (24TH FEBRUARY)
PM MODI TO INAUGURATE 2ND MARITIME SUMMIT
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the virtual Maritime India Summit (MIS) 2021, from March 2 to 4, 2021.
- The ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’ is the flagship initiative of the Union Ministry of State for Ports, Shipping & Waterways (MoPSW), Government of India. FICCI is the industry partner for the summit.
- The theme of the event is “Exploring the potential business opportunities in the Indian Maritime sector and making Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- The objective of the Summit is to promote both domestic and international investment in the Indian Ports and Maritime sector.
- The summit will provide a powerful platform for international collaboration with partner countries for mutual exchange of knowledge and opportunities. Around one lakh delegates and 40 partner countries are expected to participate in the event.
GOI & WORLD BANK INK PACT FOR PROJECTS IN NAGALAND
- The Government of India, the Government of Nagaland and the World Bank signed a $68 million agreement for “Nagaland: Enhancing Classroom Teaching and Resources Project”, to enhance the governance of schools across Nagaland.
- The $68 million loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), has a final maturity of 14.5 years including a grace period of 5 (five) years.
- The “Nagaland: Enhancing Classroom Teaching and Resources Project” will improve classroom instruction; create opportunities for the professional development of teachers, and build technology systems to provide students and teachers with more access to blended and online learning as well as allow better monitoring of policies and programmes.
- As many as 1,50,000 students and 20,000 teachers in the government education system in Nagaland will benefit from the statewide reforms in schools.
- Chief Minister of Nagaland: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor of Nagaland: N. Ravi.
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington DC, United States.
- World Bank President: David Malpass.
- World Bank Founded: July 1944.
INDIA SIGNS DEFENCE & TRADE PACTS WITH MAURITIUS
- The Indian foreign minister S Jaishankar was on an official visit to two key Indian Ocean region countries- Maldives and Mauritius.
- The External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar visited the Island nation Mauritius to review the comprehensive and important bilateral relationship between the two nations.
- India signed a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) or (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Partnership Agreement-(CECPA)) with Mauritius.
- The FTA or CECPA is the first such pact with any African country, and will help Mauritius to emerge as a “hub of Africa”.
- India has also offered a USD 100 million Line of Credit (LoC) to Mauritius to facilitate the procurement of defence assets.
- Apart from this, an agreement has also been signed between the two countries to provide a Dornier aircraft and an Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv on lease to Mauritius on a gratis basis for 2 years, so that the country can carry out patrolling activities and monitor its vast maritime domain more effectively.
- India delivered 100,000 doses of Made in India COVID-19 vaccines to the country. It had supplied 100,000 doses earlier. Both the countries also signed MoU on Consumer Protection and a Contract for an 8 MW solar plant.
DADASAHEB PHALKE INT. FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS
- The prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival awards 2021 were announced, to honour the best in Indian cinema, television, music, and OTT.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput was posthumously awarded ‘Critics Best Actor’ for his performance in Dil Bechara.
The winner of the Award for 2021 are as follows:
- Best Actor (Female): Deepika Padukone, Chhapaak
- Best Actor (Male): Akshay Kumar, Laxmii
- Critic’s Best Actress: Kiara Advani, Guilty
- Critic’s Best Actor: Late Sushant Singh Rajput, Dil Bechara
- Best Film: Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior
- Best International Feature Film: Parasite Most Versatile Actor – Kay Kay Menon
- Best Director: Anurag Basu, Ludo
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Vikrant Massey, Chhapaak
- Best Actress in Supporting Role: Radhika Madan, Angrezi Medium
- Best Actor in Comic Role: Kunal Kemmu, Lootcase
- Best Actor (Web Series): Bobby Deol, Aashram
- Best Actress (Web Series): Sushmita Sen, Aarya
- Best Web Series: Scam (1992)
- Television Series: Kundali Bhagya
- The Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival is a unique platform to honour and encourage the most creative Artists, Creators, filmmakers, and to infuse life into their career.
- DPIFF hosts the Most Prestigious Award Function to honour and appreciate the Entertainment & Film Industry and commemorate those deserving storyteller, creative writers, passionate filmmakers, and maverick artists who are part of great Indian cinema.
WORLD'S BIGGEST CRICKET STADIUM SET FOR 1ST MATCH
- The biggest cricket stadium in the world will hold its first international match, with the newly renovated Sardar Patel Stadium to host the third Test between India and England.
- Both India and England had a forgettable outing in their last pink-ball outings.
- The stadium is also known as Motera Stadium, the venue in Ahmedabad was first opened in the early 1980s but has recently been rebuilt and now has a seating capacity of 110,000.
- Motera currently is the biggest cricket stadium in the world in terms of capacity. The last time when India played a cricket match at Motera was way back in 2014.
2ND KHELO INDIA UNIVERSITY GAMES IN KARNATAKA
- The second edition of the Khelo India University Games (KIUG) 2021, is scheduled to be held in Karnataka. This announcement was made by the Karnataka Chief Minister, Shri BS Yediyurappa and Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju.
- The KIUG-2021 will be hosted by JAIN (Deemed-to-be University), Bengaluru, in partnership with the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- In 2021, Yogasana and Mallakhamb have been added to the University Games, in an effort to preserve and promote the century-old sporting disciplines of the country.
- The games will be conducted in the U-25 age category in accordance with the World University Games norms.
- KIUG is the largest University Games in India and is aimed at tapping sporting talent who can represent India in international events, including the Olympics.
- The first edition of KIUG was held in Bhubaneswar in February 2020, and saw a total participation of 3182 athletes in the U-25 age group, across 158 universities and colleges from all states.
CENTRAL EXCISE DAY OBSERVED ON 24TH FEBRUARY
- Central Excise Day is celebrated every year on February 24 across India. The day is being celebrated to honour the service of the Central Board of Excise and Custom (CBEC) to the country.
- The day is celebrated to honour the officers associated with CBEC and their services. This is done to encourage the officers to carry out their duties with utmost sincerity.
- The officers, every year perform checking of corruption in goods from the manufacturing sector. The day is celebrated to commemorate the legislation of the Central Excise and Salt act on 24 February 1944.
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs is formerly known as the Central Board of Excise and Customs. The Customs and Central Excise/ Central GST department was established to administer customs laws.
- Now the department is under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance which deals with the policy formulation concerning levy and collection of Customs, Central Excise duties, Central Goods & Services Tax and IGST, prevention of smuggling and administration of matters relating to Customs, Central Excise, Central Goods & Services Tax, IGST and Narcotics to the extent under CBIC’s purview.
- Chairman of Central Board of Excise and Custom: Ajit Kumar.
- Headquarters of Central Board of Excise and Custom: New Delhi.