Current affairs (28TH FEB & 1st March)
PM MODI INAUGURATED FIRST INDIA TOY FAIR 2021
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the first-ever Indian Toy Fair 2021 via video conference during which he urged the country to become ‘Aatmanirbhar’ in the toy manufacturing sector.
- The Ministry of Textiles, in collaboration with other ministries, including the Ministry of Education, has organised the virtual event with an aim to provide joyful learning to children by including them in teaching and learning as well as promoting the indigenous toy industry.
- The toy fair is divided into five stages — pre-school to Class II, primary, upper primary, secondary and senior secondary.
- The idea of a toy fair emerged from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Mann Ki Baat address on August 30, 2020, where he highlighted the huge potential of the toys market and the opportunities that can be tapped to promote indigenous toys.
- Aimed at providing a platform to states to develop toys reflecting the history, culture and social milieu specific to the states and also to revive traditional and indigenous toys in the lives of children, the national toy fair claims to also boost the economy by supporting local toy industry under ‘Atamnirbhar Bharat’.
NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY OBSERVED ON 28TH FEBRUARY
- National Science Day is celebrated all over India on 28th February. On this day, Sir CV Raman had announced the discovery of the Raman Effect for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930.
- The government of India designated 28 February as National Science Day (NSD) in 1986.
- The theme for this year’s National Science Day is ‘Future of STI: Impact on Education Skills and Work’. The National Science Day 2021 aims to motivate the students to gain hands-on experience in the field of science.
- Dr CV Raman was a renowned scientist who had a bachelors’ and masters’ in Physics from the Presidency College in Madras.
- He took part in numerous science competitions along with the government job. Afterwards, he received a scholarship from the Indian government.
39TH AGARTALA INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR
- In Tripura, the 39th Agartala International Book Fair with the theme “Ek Tripura, Shrestha Tripura” has begun at Agartala.
- State Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb has inaugurated the fair in presence of Bangladesh Assistant High Commissioner Md. Jobayed Hossain and other state cabinet ministers and MLAs.
- This book fair helps in building a positive mindset among people and that ensures a positive approach for overall progress in society.
- Cultural troops coming from Bangladesh, Northeastern States including Sikkim will be performing various cultural events on each day as part of the fair.
- Chief Minister of Tripura: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais.
SITHARAMAN ATTENDED G20 CENTRAL BANK GOVERNOR
- The Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman has attended the G20 Central Bank Governors’ meeting. This was the first-ever G20 Central Bank Governors’ meeting that was held under the Italian Presidency.
- The main aim of the meeting was to discuss policy actions for transformative and equitable recovery along with other issues on the agenda including the global economic outlook, financial sector issues, financial inclusion and sustainable finance.
- This meeting is a follow-up for the upcoming 2021 G20 Summit, the sixteenth meeting of Group of Twenty, scheduled to take place in Rome, Italy, on 30–31 October 2021.
- During the meeting, the finance minister highlighted India’s policy response with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic and the world’s largest inoculation drive with their G-20 counterparts.
- The G20 Finance Ministers and the Central Bank Governors also held a discussion regarding the implications of climate change on global growth and financial stability.
ISRO LAUNCHES AMAZONIA-1 SATELLITE OF BRAZIL
- India’s Polar rocket has successfully launched Amazonia-1 of Brazil and 18 other satellites from the spaceport here, in the first mission of the year for space agency ISRO.
- The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C51 lifted from the first launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SHAR) and first injected into orbit primary payload Amazonia-1.
- The 637-kg Amazonia-1 which became the first Brazilian satellite to be launched from India is an optical earth observation satellite of the National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
- After a gap of over one-and-half hours, the co-passenger satellites, including one from Chennai- based Space Kidz India (SKI), which is engraved with a picture of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, were launched subsequently one after another in the space of ten minutes in a textbook launch.
- SKI’s Satish Dhawan Satellite (SD-SAT) also carried Bhagavad Gita in a Secured Digital card format.
INDIAN WOMEN'S LEAGUE 2020 TO BE HOSTED IN ODISHA
- All India Football Federation confirms Odisha as the venue for the forthcoming Hero Indian Women’s League 2020-21 editions.
- This is the fifth edition of IWL, the top division women’s league in India. The Odisha government is a strategic partner of the AIFF (All India Football Federation) as it provides the necessary infrastructure to various men and women age-group teams.
- AIFF appreciates Odisha Government’s longstanding partnership with Indian Football wherein the latter have been providing its stadia and State of the Art training facilities to National Teams across various age groups and genders – all in an effort to take Indian Football forward together.
- President of AIFF: Praful Patel.
- AIFF founded: 23 June 1937.
- FIFA affiliation of AIFF: 1948.
- Headquarters of AIFF: Dwarka, Delhi.
PM MODI CERAWEEK GLOBAL ENERGY AWARD
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will receive the CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award during an annual CERAWeek Conference-2021.
- The award is given to him for his commitment to sustainability in energy and the environment.
- The CERAWeek Conference-2021 will be held virtually from March 1 to 5, 2021.
- It is an annual international conference that brings together the energy industry leaders, experts. Policymakers Government officials, leaders from the technology, energy technology innovators and financial & industrial communities.
GOOGLE & INTEL TEAMED UP FOR 5G DEPLOYMENT
- Google and Intel have teamed up to develop cloud-based solutions for communication service providers to accelerate the deployment of their 5G and network edge solutions.
- Google said that cooperation across the telecom stack will help it reduce the cost and time to market for the transition to cloud-native 5G in the telecom industry.
- When communication service providers provide cloud-native 5G for enterprises, it can also open up new business areas for communication service providers.
- Under this partnership, Google and Intel will focus on accelerating the deployment of virtualized RAN and open wireless access network (ORAN) solutions.
- The two technology giants plan to achieve this goal by providing infrastructure and hardware and launching a new laboratory environment for cloud-native 5G innovation.
- Google said that vRAN can benefit operators by improving network performance and spectrum efficiency, cost efficiency, and flexible deployment models. It will also provide communication service providers with strict network and timing arrangements.
HOME SECY. LEVEL TALKS B/W INDIA & BANGLADESH
- The 19th Home Secretary Level Talks was held between India and Bangladesh.
- In the context of the "Mujib Barsho" and the 50 years of Bangladesh War of Liberation and the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries, India and Bangladesh held the 19th Home Secretary Level Talks (HSLT).
- The two sides discussed the early completion of the fence to be completed on the Indo-Bangladesh Border (IBB) reached by the prime ministers of the two countries.
- The two sides reiterated that they are not allowed to use the territories of the two countries for any activities that are not conducive to each other's interests.
- The two sides reviewed all aspects of security and border-related cooperation and agreed to cooperate closely to realize the common vision of the leaders of the two countries.
WORLD DEFENCE DAY OBSERVED ON 1ST MARCH
- World Defense Day is designated on March 1, 2021. This day aims to raise awareness of public protection from natural and technological disasters and rescue services.
- World Civil Defense Day was established in 1990 by the International Civil Defense Organization (ICDO) Congress. It commemorates the day when the 1972 ICDO Constitution entered into force as an intergovernmental organization.
- ICDO was founded in Paris in 1931 by the French surgeon George Saint-Paul. It was recognized by the French Parliament in June 1935, and in 1972 received the status of an intergovernmental organization.
- ICDO’s Constitution has two purposes. It aims to arouse public attention to the vital importance of citizen protection worldwide, to raise people’s awareness of self-protection preparations and preventive measures that should be taken in the event of an accident or disaster, and I would like to extend my high regards.
- The efforts and sacrifices of national institutions in charge of disaster relief.