Current Affairs (3RD March)
ISRAEL RECEIVES FIRST EVER UAE AMBASSADOR
- Israel’s president has formally received the first-ever ambassador from the United Arab Emirates, following last year’s historic agreement between the countries to normalise ties.
- UAE envoy Mohamed Al Khaja, who arrived in Israel, delivered his credentials to Israeli President Reuven Rivlin at a ceremony in Jerusalem.
- The UAE was the first country to agree to establish full diplomatic relations with the Jewish state under the Abraham Accords, a pact brokered by former US President Donald Trump.
- The agreement made the UAE only the third majority Arab country to form official ties with Israel, following Egypt in 1979 and Jordan in 1994. Bahrain, Morocco and Sudan have subsequently joined the Abraham Accords.
- The agreements broke with the longstanding Arab consensus that there should be no normalisation with Israel until it reaches a comprehensive peace deal with the Palestinians.
KULDIEP SINGH TAKES ADDL. CHARGE AS CRPF DG
- IPS officer Kuldiep Singh has given an additional charge of CRPF director general (DG) after incumbent chief A P Maheshwari retires.
- Kuldiep Singh is working as the special DG of its central zone, will hold the additional charge of the CRPF head till “the appointment and joining of the successor or until further orders.
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is the country’s largest paramilitary with an estimated strength of about 3.25 lakh personnel.
- It is designated as the lead internal security force with its main operational theatres being Left Wing Extremism affected states, counter-terrorist combat in the Kashmir valley and counter-insurgency operations in the northeast.
- Central Reserve Police Force Headquarters: New Delhi, India.
- Central Reserve Police Force Formed: 27 July 1939.
- Central Reserve Police Force Motto: Service and Loyalty.
THAAWARCHAND GEHLOT LAUNCHED 'SUGAMYA BHARAT APP'
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot has launched the “Sugamya Bharat App”, through a video conference in New Delhi.
- The minister also launched a handbook entitled “Access – The Photo Digest”. The App and the handbook have been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- About the Sugamya Bharat APP: It is a Crowdsourcing Mobile Application to enable people with disabilities and even the elderly to register accessibility-related problems.
- The aim of the app is to sensitising and enhancing accessibility in the 3 pillars of the Accessible India Campaign which includes the built environment, transportation sector and ICT ecosystem in India.
- About the “Access – The Photo Digest”: This handbook is a collection of photographs from across different States and UTs, to act as a tool and guide for stakeholders, to sensitise them about 10 basic features of accessibility and related good-bad practices in easy to understand pictorial form.
TS RAWAT LAUNCHED 'GHAROKI PAACHAN, CHELIK NAAM
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched “Gharoki Paachan, Chelik Naam” (daughter”s name is a home”s identity) programme and development schemes worth Rs 42 crore in Nainital.
- Initially, the scheme has been launched in Nainital and later is set to be extended to the entire Uttarakhand.
- The government is working towards women empowerment and 32,000 women groups of the state are being linked with self-employment to make them self-reliant.
- The state government is also set to implement many public welfare schemes for the benefit of the youth.
- As part of the development works, the catchment area of Sukha tal Lake will be revitalized & will undergo a beautification process.
- The works on the Sukha tal lake will serve as a recharge to Nainital Lake & also add towards tourist attraction at Nainital
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat.
- Governor of Uttarakhand: Baby Rani Maurya.
RAJYA SABHA & LOK SABHA MERGED INTO SANSAD TV
- The Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha Television channels that broadcast the proceedings of the upper and lower Houses of Parliament, respectively, have been merged into a single entity.
- The new channel has been named the ‘Sansad Television’. This change is effective from March 01, 2021.
- Ravi Capoor, a retired IAS officer of the 1986 batch, has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Sansad TV for one year.
- The decision to change the name was jointly taken by Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
IAF TO PARTICIPATE IN EXERCISE DESERT FLAG-VI
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is participating in Exercise Desert Flag-VI, which has been organised from March 03 to 27, 2021 at Al-Dhafra airbase, UAE.
- The purpose of the exercise is to provide operational exposure to the participating forces, train them to undertake simulated air combat operations in a controlled environment, provides an opportunity to enhance their operational capabilities along with the mutual exchange of best practices.
- Ex Desert Flag is an annual multi-nation large force employment warfare exercise hosted by the United Arab Emirates Air Force.
- The exercise will also see the air forces of the United Arab Emirates, United States of America, France, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Bahrain. The IAF is participating with six Su-30 MKI, two C-17 and one IL-78 tanker aircraft.
- Chiefs of Air Staff: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
JAIDEEP BHATNAGAR TOOK CHARGE AS DG OF PIB
- The former head of the News Services Division of All India Radio, Jaideep Bhatnagar, took over as Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau.
- Prior to his current charge as head of the organisation, Bhatnagar has worked in PIB for six years in different capacities. He will take over from Kuldeep Singh Dhatwalia, who superannuated on February 28, 2021.
- Bhatnagar, a 1986-batch Indian Information Service (IIS) officer, earlier served in Doordarshan News as head of the Commercial, Sales and Marketing Division.
- He has also served as Prasar Bharati Special Correspondent West Asia covering 20 countries and later went on to head the News Services Division of AIR.
- PIB has its Headquarters in New Delhi.
- The Press Information Bureau was established in June 1919.
MATAM VENKATA RAO AS CEO OF CENTRAL BANK
- Matam Venkata Rao has taken charge as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Central Bank of India.
- Rao till now held the position of Executive Director at Canara Bank. His appointment is for a period of 3 years with effect from the date of assumption of office on or after March 1, 2021, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Rao is a Certified Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers. He is a post-graduate in agriculture from Sri Venkateshwara Agriculture College, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
- Central Bank of India Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Central Bank of India Founded: 21 December 1911.
WORLD WILDLIFE DAY OBSERVED ON 3RD MARCH
- World Wildlife Day is observed globally on the 3rd of March every year to celebrate the beautiful and varied forms of wild fauna and flora present on earth.
- World Wildlife Day also raise awareness about the benefits that the conservation of wild fauna and flora provides to people living on earth.
- The day also reminds us of the need to fight against wildlife crime and human-induced reduction of species causing various wide-ranging economic, environmental and social impacts.
- World Wildlife Day will be celebrated in 2021 under the theme “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”, as a way to highlight the central role of forests, forest species and ecosystems services in sustaining the livelihoods of hundreds of millions of people globally, and particularly of Indigenous and local communities with historic ties to forested and forest-adjacent areas.
- World Wildlife Fund Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland.
- World Wildlife FundFounded: 29 April 1961, Morges, Switzerland.
- President and CEO of World Wildlife Fund: Carter Roberts.