Current affairs (10TH march)
MAITRI SETU BETWEEN INDIA & BANGLADESH
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the ‘Maitri Setu’ bridge between India and Bangladesh through a video conference, to strengthen the connectivity between both countries and especially with the north-eastern region of India.
- Maitri bridge will also make Tripura the ‘Gateway of North East’ with access to Chittagong Port of Bangladesh, which is just 80 km from the Sabroom.
- The Maitri Setu bridge has been built on the Feni river, which lies between the Indian boundary in Tripura and Bangladesh.
- The9 Kilometres long bridge will connect Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh. The bridge has been constructed by the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited at a project cost of around Rs. 133 Crore.
CHINA GREEN LIGHT FOR DAMS ON BRAHMAPUTRA
- China's new Five-Year Plan (FYP) 2021-2025 draft gave the green light for the first dam to be built on the lower reaches of the Yarlung Zangbo river, as the Brahmaputra was well known in Tibet before it flowed into India.
- The draft outline of the "2025 Five-Year Plan" and the draft long-term goal by 2035 specifically mention the construction of hydropower bases downstream of the river, which is one of the priority energy projects to be carried out in the next five years.
- Downstream refers to the section of the Tibetan river that flows into India.
- The inclusion of these projects in the draft plan indicates that the authorities have approved the first start of excavation downstream.
- This marks a new chapter in river hydropower development. Other major projects: the construction of coastal nuclear power plants and power transmission channels. All drafts are ready for formal approval.
J&K LAUNCHED 'SUPER-75' SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME
- The Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has launched “Super-75” scholarship schemes for meritorious girls, on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2021.
- The basic aim of this scholarship scheme is to facilitate the education and entrepreneurship of women.
- The super-75 scholarship scheme will support the education of meritorious girls from poor families, so that they can excel in streams like medicine, engineering, ITI (Industrial training institutes) and humanity and contribute to nation-building.
- Apart from this, Lt Governor Sinha also announced a new scheme named ‘Tejaswini’. This scheme has been launched under ‘Mission Youth-J&K’.
- Under Tejaswini, financial assistance of Rs 5 lakhs will be provided to the girls between the age group of 18 to 35 years to start their business.
ECONOMIC FREEDOM INDEX 2021 RELEASED
- The Heritage Foundation, a US Conservative think-tank, recently launched the “Economic Freedom Index”.
- The index was prepared by covering 184 countries this time for the period of July 2019 to June 2020. This is the first time the index has been published since the COVID-19 pandemic overturned lives as well as global economies and the scoring reflects a small extent how governments have responded to the health crisis.
- In the index, Singapore has topped the global ranking for the second consecutive year. In the 2021 Index, India came in around the middle of the pack among Asia-Pacific countries ranking 26th out of 40 countries, scoring 56.5 points.
- Globally, the Foundation rates India’s economy as the 121st freest. Although its overall score is unchanged, improvements were made in business freedom. This was offset by declines in judicial effectiveness and other scores.
- The biggest news generated from the “2021 Index of Economic Freedom” was however not the rankings or how COVID-19 impacted the scores but that The Heritage Foundation decided to exclude Hong Kong from its rankings for the first time ever.
- The Heritage Foundation said that the reason for leaving Hong Kong out is that the Special Administrative Region and its economic policies have now come under the direct control of Beijing.
- The Heritage Foundation’s Index of Economic Freedom is an annual guide published to measure the progress made in advancing economic freedom which it claims brings greater prosperity.
CONSERVATION PROJECT AT SINGORGARH FOR IN MP
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has laid the foundation stone for the conservation works of Singorgarh Fort in Singrampur village of Damoh district, Madhya Pradesh.
- He also inaugurated the newly carved Jabalpur Circle of Archaeological Survey of India.
- Apart from this, President Kovind addressed the State Level Tribal Conference ‘Janjatiya Sammelan’ at Singrampur village in Damoh.
- The program was organized jointly by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India and the Tribal Affairs Department of Madhya Pradesh.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel.
SUB-MISSION ON AGROFORESTRY (SMAF) SCHEME
- The Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare and the Central Silk Board is aimed at implementing a model for the integration of agriculture and forestry in the silk sector under the currently implemented Sub-Mission on Agroforestry (SMAF) Scheme.
- The signing of the Memorandum of Understanding aims to encourage farmers to adopt agro-forestry model based on sericulture, thereby contributing to the creation of Indian manufacturing and the Prime Minister’s vision of the world.
- This connection will add another dimension to agriculture and forestry to enable growers to obtain faster returns and support the production of India’s famous series of silks.
- The Central Silk Board will promote the development of Agroforestry in the silk industry.
- About Sub-Mission on Agroforestry (SMAF): The scheme has been implemented since 2016-16 and is part of the 2014 National Agroforestry Policy recommendations.
- Implemented by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmer Welfare in 20 states and 2 UTs. This sub-mission is under the responsibility of the National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA).
TIRATH SINGH RAWAT NEW CM OF UTTARAKHAND
- The Bharatiya Janata Party’s member of Parliament from Pauri Garhwal, Tirath Singh Rawat, will be the next chief minister of Uttarakhand.
- This was announced by outgoing chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, who resigned. Tirath Singh Rawat will be sworn in as the new chief minister of Uttarakhand.
- Tirath Singh Rawat was the chief of the party in Uttarakhand in 2013-15 and also an MLA from the state in the past.
- His name was picked over prominent candidates including Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and Uttarakhand Minister Dhan Singh Rawat.