Current Affairs(28th October)
AUSTRIAN NATIONAL DAY: 26TH OCTOBER
- The Austrian National Day is celebrated on October 26 and relates to political developments after World War 2.
- After the end of the War, Austria was occupied by the four
Allied forces (Soviet Union, United States, Great Britain, and France), who divided the country into four zones.
- The capital Vienna was also divided in four, with the
historic central district being jointly administered by the “Allied Control Council”.
- Although the Austrian parliament was democratically elected, every legislative regulation or political action of the government at first required consent by the Allied Control Council and later on could still be vetoed by it.
- The negotiations over a State Treaty putting an end to the occupation could finally be concluded in the spring of 1955: the Austrian State Treaty was signed on May 15, 1955, in Vienna's Schloss Belvedere and entered into force on July 27, 1955.
- On October 26, 1955, the Austrian Parliament passed the constitutional law on permanent neutrality, which has been celebrated as the Austrian National day since 1965.
- Every year, the Federal Government celebrates this day with a series of events in Vienna & The citizens have the possibility of visiting federal museums for free or at a discounted fee on that day.
INTERNATIONAL DAY: AUDIOVISUAL HERITAGE & ANIMATION
- The World Day for Audiovisual Heritage is observed globally on 27 October every year. The theme of the World
Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2020: “You’re Window to the World”.
- The day was chosen by UNESCO to raise awareness of the significance and preservation risks of recorded sound and audiovisual documents.
- International Animation Day is observed globally on 28 October every year. The day has celebrated the art of animation and also recognizes the artists, scientists and technicians behind animation.
- This year marks the 19th International Animation Day. The day was created in 2002 by the International Animated Film Association (ASIFA), an International Animated Film Association, a member of UNESCO.
- ASIFA created the International Animation Day (IAD) in 2002, honoring the birth of animation, recognized as the first public performance of projected moving images: Emile
Reynaud’s Theatre Optique in Paris, on 28th October 1892.
ARJUN MUNDA LAUNCHES TWO CoE FOR TRIBAL AFFAIRS
- The Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda has launched two Centers of Excellence (CoE) for Tribal Welfare in collaboration between Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) and Art of Living (AoL) through video conference.
- The first CoE has been launched in Aurangabad district of Maharashtra for training about 10000 tribal farmers in the field of sustainable natural farming based on Go-
Adharith farming techniques.
- Farmers will be helped in getting the Organic certification and marketing opportunities to make each of them Aatmanirbhar Tribal Farmers.
- The second CoE has been launched in Jharkhand in the field of ‘Strengthening PRIs’ in 5 districts of the state covering 30 Gram Panchayats and 150 villages.
- This initiative aims to create the youth volunteers among the tribal youths by giving them personality development training, instilling the sense of social responsibility among them.
- The Art of Living Foundation is a volunteer-based, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organization in Bengaluru founded in 1981 by Sri Ravi Shankar.
LUIS ARCE ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF BOLIVIA
- Luis Arce has been chosen as the President-elect of Bolivia, after winning a landslide victory in the 2020 Bolivian general election.
- He captured 1% of the total votes. Arce will take the charge of the office on 8 November 2020. He would succeed Jeanine Anez, who is serving as the interim President of Bolivia.
- The 57-year-old, Luis is a member of the political party Movement toward Socialism. Previously, Arce served as Minister of Economy and Public Finance from 2006 to 2017 and in 2019 under President Evo Morales.
Currency of Bolivia:
- Bolivia Capitals: La Paz, Sucre.
- Bolivia is a South American country.
PM MODI CONFERENCE ON VIGILANCE & ANTI CORRUPTION
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the national conference on vigilance and anti-corruption on October 27,
- The theme of this year's conference is "vigilant India, prosperous India" (Satark Bharat, Samruddha Bharat).
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) organises the national conference, coinciding with the "Vigilance Awareness Week", which is observed from October 27 to November 2 annually.
- The conference would be focused on vigilance issues aimed at raising awareness and reaffirming India's commitment to the promotion of integrity and probity in public life through citizens' participation.
- The conference would discuss the challenges in the investigation in foreign jurisdictions, Preventive Vigilance, Effective Auditing, Latest amendments to the Prevention of
- This Conference will also bring policymakers and practitioners on a common platform enabling them to combat corruption through systemic improvements and preventive vigilance measures.
GUJARAT HC: FIRST COURT TO LIVE STREAM ITS PROCEEDINGS
- Recently, the Gujarat High Court has become the first Court to live stream judicial proceedings on YouTube
- The High Court allowed the open court proceedings through the video conferencing, except the proceedings to be conducted in camera. In camera means in private chambers of a judge, with the press and public excluded.
- It observed that the initiative of live telecast is on an experimental basis and the aspect of continuing with or adapting the modality of live court proceedings will be decided based on the outcome of this trial.
- The move has been welcomed by lawyers, law students and the public at large besides litigants, being seen as a major measure towards transparency in judicial proceedings.
- All the Courts have been functioning through video conferencing throughout the Covid-19 lockdown and even after that. It held that the live streaming proceedings are part of the right to access justice under Article 21 of the Constitution.
- A live stream would help litigants follow the proceedings in their case and also assess their lawyers’ performance. People from far-flung States such as Tamil Nadu and Kerala do not have to travel all the way to the national capital for a day’s hearing.
MD & CEO OF HDFC BANK: ADITYA PURI RETIRES
- The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of HDFC Bank, Aditya Puri has stepped down, after 25 years of a highly successful career at India’s largest private sector lender.
- The 70-year-old Puri had transformed a start-up in a sector dominated by state-owned banks into an industry leader.
- At nearly Rs 6 trillion, HDFC Bank leads the industry in terms of market capitalization and remains the most profitable by a long margin.
- Sashidhar Jagdishan has been appointed as the new chief executive and managing director of the HDFC Bank with effect from 27 October 2020.
- The tagline of HDFC Bank: We Understand Your World.
- HDFC Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
TIARA REPORTS ON CELEBRITIES AS HUMAN BRANDS
- Owing to his contribution in the field of cinema and society in general, actor Amitabh Bachchan has emerged as the country's most trusted and respected brand, according to a recent report.
- The TIARA(Trust, Identify, Attractive, Respect and Appeal) research report on celebrities as human brands,
released by the Indian Institute of Human Brands (IIHB), surveyed responses from 60,000 people across 23 cities to assign a score to each celebrity.
- A total of 180 celebrities were surveyed, out of which 69 were from Bollywood, 67 from television, 37 from sports and seven celebrity couples.
- Overall, Amitabh Bachchan was voted as India’s most trusted celebrity across geographies with a TIARA score of 88.0.In Bollywood, Akshay Kumar was the most trusted celebrity with a score of 86.8.
- Despite her recent brush with controversy surrounding drug consumption charges, actor Deepika Padukone emerged as the most trusted female celebrity with a 82.8 score.
- Comedian Kapil Sharma was ranked most trusted celebrity on small screen with 63.2 score followed by actor Kajol (59.8) & Cricketer MS Dhoni was most trusted sports celebrity with 86.0 score.
COMMEMORATION OF 400TH BIRTH ANNIVERSARY OF GURU TEG
- The Centre has set up a high-level committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to commemorate the
400th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Tegh Bahadur.
- Union Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla will be the member secretary of the 70-member high-level committee.
- The committee will look into the approval of policies,
plans, programmes and supervision and guiding the commemoration, as well as for deciding dates for detailed programmes of celebration.
- Some of the other members of the committee include Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
- Union ministers Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah, Nitin Gadkari, Nirmala Sitharaman, Hardeep Singh Puri, and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.
- It will also include Chief ministers of Haryana, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan.