Current Affairs(31ST October)
19TH MEETING OF SCO: MINISTER OF FOREIGN TRADE
- India hosted the 19th Meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Ministers of Foreign Economy and Foreign Trade. The virtual meeting was held under the Chairmanship of Union Minister of Commerce and Industry of India “Shri Piyush Goyal”.
- It was attended by the Secretary-General of SCO Vladimir
Norov and Ministers from all the members of the organization. The meeting was done with the adoption of the following four documents:
- Statement on the response to Covid-19: It highlights the need for greater cooperation for access to medicines and facilitation of trade.
- Statement on the Multilateral Trading System of Ministers of SCO Countries who is WTO Members: It highlights the importance of the rules-based multilateral negotiations.
- Statement on the SCO Cooperation on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR). It relates to the cooperation of intellectual property and includes sharing information/experience on legislation and enforcement, cooperation in international organizations and other areas.
- The meeting had also adopted the Action Plan for Implementation of MOU to stimulate cooperation within the framework of SCO in the field of MSMEs.
FORMER GUJARAT CM KESHUBHAI PATEL PASSED AWAY
- Former Gujarat Chief Minister and a stalwart who played a key role in building the BJP in Gujarat, Keshubhai Patel, died of cardiac arrest. He was 92.
- Keshubhai Patel was Gujarat's CM from March 1995 to October 1995 and from March 1998 to October 2001. He was a senior BJP leader in the state until he resigned from the party in 2012 to launch a new political outfit named 'Gujarat Parivartan Party' to contest the polls
- He fought his first assembly elections from Wankaner (then in Rajkot district) in 1972, as a BJS candidate, but lost to the Congress. He began his journey in electoral politics with the Rajkot municipality
- Current Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi succeeded him as Gujarat chief minister in October 2001. Keshubhai Patel was among the founder members of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS), and was its president from 1972-75.
14TH ASIAN FILM AWARDS 2020
- The 14th edition of Asian Film Awards was organized by the Asian Film Awards Academy. Indian Movie Gully Boy has received the award for the Best Original Score at 14th Asian
- The award went to Karsh Kale and the Salvage Audio Collective. Gully Boy has been directed by Zoya Akhtar. In Gully Boy, Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt played leading roles.
- The winners of the 14th Asian Film Awards includes:
- Best Actor: - Lee Byung-hun – The Man Standing Next (South Korea)
- Best Actress: - Zhou Dongyu – Better Days (China)
- Best Director:- Wang Xiaoshuai for So Long, My Son (China)
- Best Film: - Parasite (South Korea).
NATIONAL UNITY DAY: 31ST OCTOBER
- In India, the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Unity Day is observed every year on October 31 since 2014, to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Iron Man of
India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- This year marks the 145th anniversary of the great leader who played an instrumental role in India’s struggle for independence, and later during the integration of the country.
- He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat. He was the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of independent India. He played an important role in the integration of many Indian princely states to make an Indian federation.
- At the time of independence, he played a key role in convincing several princely states to align with the Indian Union. He also worked hard as a social leader for the independence of India.
- Women of Bardoli bestowed the title ‘Sardar’ on Vallabhbhai Patel, which means ‘a Chief or a Leader’. He is recognized as the real unifier of India for his colossal contribution to integrate and make India a united (Ek Bharat) and an independent nation.
- He is also remembered as the ‘Patron saint of India’s civil servants’ as he established the modern all-India services system. The Statue of Unity at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat was built in his honor.
INDIA 1BN DOLLAR CREDIT TO CENTRAL ASIAN COUNTRIES
- The second meeting of the India-Central Asia Dialogue was held virtually, under the chairmanship of the External Affairs Minister of India Dr S Jaishankar.
- The foreign minister of all the five Central Asian countries-
Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan– participated in the meeting.
- During the meeting, India announced US $1 billion line of credit for “priority developmental projects” in Central Asian countries in the fields of connectivity, energy, IT, healthcare, education, agriculture.
- India offered the credit to provide grant assistance for implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDP) for furthering socio-economic development in the countries of the region.
- Apart from this, the Acting Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan also attended the meeting as a special invitee. The first India-Central Asia Dialogue was held in Uzbekistan’s Samarkand in 2019.
OM PURI AWARDED WITH LIFETIME AWARD POSTHUMOUSLY
- Late Indian actor, Om Puri was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the third edition of the India
International Film Festival of Boston (IIFFB 2020).
- The award was received by his wife Nandita Puri. The three-day film festival, based in Boston USA. Another highlight of
the festival was a conversation with Chef Vikas Khanna, recipient of the “Pride of India Awards”.
- Malayalam film “Kaanthi” bagged the Best Feature Film Award, while the Best Male Actor was won by Victor Banerjee for playing a priest in Josef: Born in Grace. The Best Female Actor went to Shylaja Ambu for Kaanthi at the Boston festival.
WORLD'S FIRST SCIENTOON BOOK "BYE BYE CORONA"
- World’s 1st scientoon book entitled “Bye Bye Corona” was released by Anandiben Patel, Governor, Uttar Pradesh.
- The book was written by ‘scientoonist’ Dr Pradeep Srivastava, former Senior Principal Scientist at CSIR-Central Drug
Research Institute, Lucknow.
- It is further planned to make a 3D version of the book. The book
has been published by Vigyan Prasar. The 220 pages book contains comprehensive information on novel coronavirus pandemic, its symptoms and its prevention through precautions.
- ‘Bye Bye Corona’ also has a very interesting chapter on the ‘Art of Living with
Coronavirus’ highlighting the methods to deal with the virus in day to day life if it is here to stay for a longer time.
INTERNATIONAL INTERNET DAY: 29TH OCTOBER
- International Internet Day is observed on 29th October every It aims to honor a momentous day in the history of telecommunications and technology.
- This day also highlights the sending of the 1st electronic message which was conveyed from one computer to another computer in the year 1969.
- Charley Kline who was a student programmer at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), he had discovered the transmission of the first-ever electronic message in the world ‘LO’ on 29th October 1969.
- In that era, the Internet was called ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network). In 2005, this was the first time, when the world observed the first International Internet Day on 29th Oct.