CURRENT AFFAIRS(11TH NOVEMBER)
INDIA AND MALDIVES SIGNED FOUR AGREEMENTS
- India and the Maldives have signed four agreements, during the visit of Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla to the Shringla is on a two-day visit to the Indian Ocean archipelago.
- These MOUs will help to improve the relations between the two Maldives tourism industry has been greatly
affected by COVID-19 and because of this India provided a loan of $250 million to the country in September 2020.
- The Indian foreign secretary appreciated the “India First” policy of Maldives and also said that it is strongly reciprocated by India through “Neighborhood First”
- The MoUs signed includes Grant of $100 million by India, which is part of India’s “$500 million packages” for the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) that will link capital Male with three
- India will also provide a $400-million line of credit for the project through EXIM, the largest such infrastructure venture undertaken in the Maldives. The second agreement signed between the two countries is to set up a plant and soil testing laboratory with a grant of 71 million Maldivian rufiyaas.
- The third agreement has been signed for the establishment of a drug detox facility with another grant of 7 million Maldivian rufiyaas. The fourth MOU was signed to increase cooperation in the field of sports and youth affairs between both the countries.
- President of the Maldives: Ibrahim Mohamed
- Capital of Maldives: Male
- Currency of the Maldives: Maldivian
INDIA RANKS THE LOWEST IN BODY MASS INDEX BY LANCET
- By the study in The Lancet, India took the position of third and fifth from the bottom respectively among countries where 19-year-old girls and boys have a low Body Mass Index (BMI)
- The investigation of Lancet gives new analysis to height and Body Mass Index (BMI) patterns in 2019 across 200 nations subsequent to breaking down information from 2,181
- The mean BMI of 19-year-old young men is 1 in India, contrasted with a high of
29.6 in the Cook Islands and a low of 19.2 in Ethiopia. For Indian young ladies, the mean BMI is again 20.1, contrasted with a high of 29.0 in Tonga and a low of 19.6 in Timor- Leste.
- The mean height of Indian 19-year-olds is 166.5 cm for young men and 155.2 cm for young ladies, well underneath the high of Netherlands young men (183.8 cm) and young ladies (170 cm).
- Pakke Tiger Reserve (PTR) in Arunachal Pradesh has become the first in the eight- State northeast to provide insurance cover against Covid-19 for “green soldiers”. Eight-State northeast includes Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- 57 frontline staff (referred to as green soldiers) of the Park have been insured for nine months against health issues due to the infection by the Covid-19.
- The forest guards are rightly the green soldiers in the frontline of India’s wildlife, and the onus of wildlife conservation pretty much falls on them. The insurance coverage is of 1 lakh each but a few who would be retiring soon has been insured for Rs. 50,000.
- The Wildlife Trust of India (WTI), an NGO, paid the insurance amount with support from Foundation Serge. The NGO has been supporting India’s frontline forest staff with accident cover for the last 20 years.
- Pakke Tiger Reserve (declared in 1999-2000) lies in the foothills of the eastern Himalaya in the East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh and is also known as Pakhui Tiger It comes inside the Eastern Himalaya Biodiversity Hotspot.
- It is home for more than 2000 types of plants, 300 types of flying creatures, 40 types of vertebrates, and so forth numerous types of the verdure are all around the world undermined, and PTR is one of the final fortifications left for these
AZIM PREMJI (WIPRO) TOPS THE PHILANTHROPY LIST 2020
- The founder-chairman of Wipro Ltd, Azim Premji has topped the EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020. The 75-year-old made the highest contribution of Rs 7,904 crore between April 2019 and March 2020 towards philanthropic
- It ranks individuals from India who donated Rs 5 crore and
above between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020, towards philanthropic contributions.
- Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman of HCL Technologies, ranked second (Rs 795 crore) on the list. He topped the list in 2019. India’s richest man and the chairman of Reliance Industries, Mukesh Ambani stood at the third spot (Rs 458 crore).
- 7 women found a place in the list with Rohini Nilekani (donating Rs 47 crore) being India’s most generous woman; followed by Anu Aga & family of Thermax (Rs 36 crore), and Biocon’s Kiran Mazumdar Shaw (Rs 34 crore).
- The EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020 is compiled by the EdelGive Foundation and Hurun Research It is the seventh edition of the annual list.
- EdelGive Hurun India philanthropy list includes cash and cash equivalents pledged with legally binding commitments for the twelve months between April 1, 2019, to March 31, 2020, and the latest available CSR data filed with the Ministry of Corporate
- Former Chief Secretary of Delhi, M.M. Kutty was appointed as the chairperson of Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) in National Capital Region and Adjoining
- The CAQM was formed on October 28 after dissolving several pollution-monitoring bodies, including most prominently the 22-
year-old, Environment Pollution Prevention & Control Authority (EPCA) that has so far addressed air pollution in the Delhi NCR.
- This body will perform the job of coordinating activities between the States. The ordinance empowers the agency to make rules, set emission standards, and slap fines of up to Rs 1 crore or imprison violators for up to five
- The Centre has notified the Commission for Air Quality Management for the National Capital Region (NCR) days after it issued an ordinance on October 29 to set up the new agency with sweeping powers to monitor and act against sources of air pollution across five north Indian states.
- The panel that also comprises Union ministers Piyush Goyal, Nitin Gadkari, Harsh Vardhan; and cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba has named Arvind Kumar Nautiyal, joint secretary, as the Commission’s full-time member.
- Uttarakhand Divas or Uttarakhand Day is observed on November 9 every year. The state of Uttarakhand was created on November 09, 2000, after bifurcating former Uttar Pradesh by the Uttar Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2000.
- The state of Uttarakhand was initially called Uttaranchal and
later in January 2007 it was as renamed Uttarakhand. Uttarakhand is popular as the Land of the Gods or “Dev Bhumi”.
- The first demand for a separate state of Uttarakhand was started in 1897. The demand changed into a mass movement in the 1990s, which culminated in the formation of the state in 2000.
- Uttarakhand was created by joining several districts from the Northwestern part of Uttar Pradesh and a portion of the Himalayan Mountain range. This year 2020 is 20th Uttarakhand Foundation
- The capital of the state is Dehradun and the High Court is situated in the Nainital. Uttarakhand is rich in a variety of natural resources including glaciers, rivers, dense forests, and snow-clad mountain peaks.
- The four most sacred Hindu temples of Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamnotri are also known as Char-dhams are situated in Uttarakhand.
ü Ruskin Bond, one of India’s most cherished authors was conferred Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award for 2020.
- He has a substantial body of work, close to 100 books – across genres for children and Bond writing has charmed both categories of readers into lifelong love and admiration.
- He has been recognised by the Indian Council of Child Education for his contribution to the growth of children’s literature in
- His famous works: Room on the roof, Blue Umbrella, He was conferred the
Padma Shri & Padma Bhushan.
- American television editor, writer and producer Ken Spears, who co-created the beloved animated series “Scooby-Doo”, passed away.
- He was also the co-founder of television animation production company, Ruby-Spears Productions, along with the late Joe
- Together, Spears and Ruby created Scooby-Doo, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, and Jabberjaw, among other programs. Joe Ruby has recently passed away on August 26,
- Mumbai Indians defeated Delhi Capitals in the final of Dream11 Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 to lift their fifth IPL trophy.
- Chasing 157 runs for victory, Mumbai were helped by their captain Rohit Sharma, who hit 68 runs off 51 balls. Mumbai had defeated Chennai Super Kings in the IPL 2019
- They have now become the only side after Chennai Super Kings to defend the title. Kings XI Punjab skipper KL Rahul bagged the Orange Cap for being the leading run-scorer of the IPL 2020. Delhi Capitals’ Kagiso Rabada won the Purple Cap with a total of 30 wickets at the end of IPL
The award winners are as follows:
Rohit Sharma adjudged Game Changer of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
Trent Boult named the Player of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
Game Changer of the Season: KL Rahul.
Delhi Capitals’ Kagiso Rabada wins the Purple Cap.
Emerging Player of the season: Devdutt Padikkal (RCB).
Rajasthan Royals speedster Jofra Archer emerges as the Most Valuable Player.