Current affairs (10TH DECEMBER)
SINGAPORE TO HOST WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM'S MEETING 2021
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has decided to host its 2021 annual meeting in Singapore, which earlier was scheduled to take place in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland from 13-16 May 2021.
- The decision to shift the annual forum from Switzerland has been taken in view of the Covid-19 situation in Europe.
- This would be the second time since its inception in 1971 that the forum will be held outside Switzerland.
- In 2002, the forum was held in New York to show solidarity with the American people in the aftermath of 9/11. The meeting is generally held in Davos, Switzerland, but amid covid, the meeting was first shifted to Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland in October 2020.
- Now again the venue has been shifted to It would return to Davos, Switzerland, in 2022.
- World Economic Forum Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland.
- World Economic Forum Founder: Klaus Schwab.
- World Economic Forum Founded: January 1971.
KUWAIT EMIR RE-APPOINTED SHEIKH AL-SABAH AS PM
- Kuwait Emir Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah has re-appointed Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid Al-Sabah as prime minister.
- The move comes two days after Sheikh Sabah submitted his government’s resignation in a procedural step following parliamentary polls.
- The country’s ruler accepted the premier’s resignation before reassigning him to form the upcoming government.
- Sheikh Nawaf who took over the leadership of the Gulf state in September after the death of his brother also asked Sheikh Sabah to nominate members of a new cabinet. The new cabinet would have to be approved by the Emir.
Kuwait Capital: Kuwait City.
Kuwait Currency: Dinar.
BOB LAUNCHED ATMANIRBHAR WOMEN SCHEME
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has recently launched the Atmanirbhar Women Scheme as part of its Baroda Gold Loan. This scheme aims to target the self-reliant woman in India.
- Under the scheme, the bank is offering loans at 0.50 per cent concession for women. The bank under the gold loan scheme is offering agri-gold loan at 0.25 per cent concession and for a retail loan at 50 per cent concession.
- This Atmanirbhar scheme is exclusively meant for helping women to be self-reliant. The scheme was launched at BOB’s Ramamurthy Nagar branch in Bengaluru and simultaneously in 18 branches coming under 18 zones in the country.
- Bank Of Baroda Headquarters: Vadodara, Gujarat, India.
- Bank Of Baroda Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia.
- Bank Of Baroda MD & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha.
MADAGASCAR TO HOST 2023 INDIAN OCEAN ISLAND GAMES
- Madagascar has replaced the Maldives as the host of the 2023 Indian Ocean Island Games due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The event had been awarded to the Maldives last year, but members of the Indian Ocean Island Games Federation voted to move the Games to
- The decision came as a result of the challenges the Maldives is facing in organising the event during the coronavirus crisis.
- The Maldives had requested pushing back the 2023 Games to 2025 but the IOIGF was keen to avoid a six-year void between editions of the multi-sport event.
- Madagascar Capital:
- Madagascar President: Andry Rajoelina.
- Madagascar Currency: Malagasy ariary.
FM NIRMALA SITHARAMAN 41ST SPOT IN FORBES LIST
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has grabbed the 41st spot in the 2020 list of Forbes 100 most powerful women in the world.
- This is the second time she features in the list, in 2019 ranked at 34 and ranked 41st in 2020. India’s leading Businesswomen, Kiran Mazumdar-shaw, Chairman of Biocon Limited also featured in the list at 68th position.
- The list also saw the biggest jump in ranking to 3rd position by Kamala Harris, Vice President-Elect of USA, and Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina Wajed is ranked at 39.
- Forbes is the 103-year-old American Business Magazine, issued weekly.
- Editor in Chief- Steve Forbes.
- First issued in September 1917.
ANNIKA SORENSTAM ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF IGF
- The International Golf Federation (IGF) elected Annika Sorenstam as its new president effective January 1, 2021.
- IGF President, Peter Dawson, is stepping down after 10 years of leadership and service. Sorenstam, a 72-time winner on the LPGA Tour and former No. 1 from Sweden.
- International Golf Federation Founded: 1958.
- International Golf Federation Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Golf became an Olympic sport again in 2016 after 112 years.
ZEBA WOOLDRIDGE ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF WSF
- Zena Wooldridge from England has been elected as the World Squash Federation President. She will become the 10th WSF President to serve since the Federation’s inception in 1967.
- She is the second female President after New Zealand’s Susie Simcock. She replaces outgoing President Jacques Fontaine, from France.
- She previously served six years as President of the European Squash Federation between 2013-2019.
World Squash Federation Founded: 1967.
World Squash Federation Headquarters: Hastings, United Kingdom.