Current affairs (13th DECEMBER)
PM MODI ADDRESSED INTERNATIONAL BHARATHI FESTIVAL
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed the International Bharathi Festival 2020 through video conferencing.
- The festival was organised by Vanavil Cultural Centre in Chennai to celebrate the 138th birth anniversary of Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi, an eminent writer, poet and journalist from Tamil Nadu.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also conferred the 2020 Bharathi Award to the noted writer Seeni Viswanathan, who is credited with compiling the voluminous works of Bharathi in chronological order.
- The Bharathi Award is conferred every year since 1994, to eminent persons who have done laudable service in any field of social relevance.
JOE BIDEN NAMED AS TIME 'S PERSON OF THE YEAR 2020
- US President-elect, Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris have been jointly named Time magazine’s 2020 “Person of the Year”.
- The TIME magazine releases the annual list since 1927, to recognise a person or organisation who affected the news or impacted the country and world the most, for better or worse, during the calendar year.
- Apart from this, Time magazine has named the Korean pop group BTS as its Entertainer of the Year, and basketball star LeBron James as Athlete of the Year.
- Zoom founder Eric Yuan was aptly named Businessperson of the Year, as the video communications company has come to define the way millions have connected with each other during the pandemic.
NATIONAL CENTRE FOR DIVYANG EMPOWERMENT
- The Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, G Kishan Reddy has inaugurated the National Centre for Divyang Empowerment (NCDE) at the CRPF Group Centre in Hakimpet near Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The NCDE is first of its kind establishment to re-skill and rehabilitates the Divyang Warriors of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) who suffered life-threatening injuries in the line of duty.
- Several market-driven expertise like computer skills and various sports skills will be imparted on the Divyang Warriors to empower them and enable them to serve the force and the country.
- All possible assistance and cooperation will be extended for the welfare of the Divyang Warriors.
- Central Reserve Police Force Director-General: AP Maheshwari.
- Central Reserve Police Force Headquarters: New Delhi, India.
ADB LAUNCHES 9 BILLION USD INITIATIVE 'APVAX'
- The Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) has launched an initiative called, the Asia Pacific Vaccine Access Facility (APVAX), for its developing member countries.
- The bank has allocated USD 9 billion for APVAX. APVAX will play a critical role in helping our developing members meet these challenges, overcome the pandemic, and focus on economic recovery.
- Through APVAX, the ADB will offer rapid and equitable support to its developing members, who need financing to procure vaccines as well as offer appropriate plans and knowledge to be able to safely, equitably and efficiently manage and deliver the COVID-19 vaccine.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in Manila, Philippines.
5TH INDIA WATER IMPACT (IWIS) KICKED OFF VIRTUALLY
- The 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS) kicked off on 10th December 2020 virtually. The event was inaugurated by Ratan Lal Kataria, Minister of State for Jal Shakti.
- The objective of IWIS 2020 is Comprehensive Analysis and Holistic Management of Rivers and Water Bodies.
- IWIS 2020 has been organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) to discuss water-related issues and steps taken to save the planet’s most precious resource.
- The theme of IWIS 2020 is Arth Ganga: River Conservation Synchronised Development. The conference will have a comprehensive analysis and review of river rejuvenation and local river.
- It will also have deliberation about Arth Ganga, i.e. how river conservation synchronised development can take place.
RBL & ICICI PRUDENTIAL BANCASSURANCE PARTNERSHIP
- RBL Bank and ICICI Prudential have joined hands under a bancassurance partnership. 398 RBL Bank branches across 28 states will distribute ICICI Prudential Life’s protection and savings products.
- The protection products of ICICI Prudential Life will help the bank’s customers to develop a strong financial plan and its long-term savings products will help the customers of the bank to achieve their financial goals.
- This partnership will allow more than 8.7 million customers of RBL Bank to access and purchase ICICI Prudential Life’s customer-centric protection and long-term savings products.
- It provides financial security to the customers and their families through life insurance cover. It will deepen and strengthen the multi-channel distribution network of ICICI Prudential Life.
- It will also accelerate the value creation for the bank and ICICI Prudential Life. Bancassurance means selling insurance products through banks. It is an arrangement between a bank and an insurance company, wherein the bank sells the tied insurance company’s insurance products to its clients.
INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSAL HEALTH COVERAGE DAY 2020
- International Universal Health Coverage Day is a United Nations’ recognized international day celebrated every year on December 12.
- The Day aims to raise awareness of the need for strong and resilient health systems and universal health coverage with multi-stakeholder partners.
- This year's theme of International Universal Health Coverage Day is ‘Health For All: PROTECT EVERYONE’.
- The theme reflects that to end this crisis (COVID-19) and build a safer and healthier future, we must invest in health systems that protect us all-now.
- On 12 December 2012, the United Nations General Assembly endorsed a resolution urging countries to accelerate progress toward universal health coverage (UHC) – the idea that everyone everywhere should have access to quality, affordable health care – as an essential priority for international development.
- On 12 December 2017, the United Nations proclaimed 12 December as International Universal Health Coverage Day (UHC Day).
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF NEUTRALITY: DECEMBER 12TH
- International Day of Neutrality is a United Nations recognized day held on December 12 each year to raise public awareness of the value of neutrality in international relations.
- It was officially declared by a UN General Assembly resolution adopted in February 2017 and first observed on December 12, 2017.
- Neutrality is defined as the legal status arising from the abstention of a state from all participation in a war between other states, the maintenance of an attitude of impartiality toward the belligerents, and the recognition by the belligerents of this abstention and impartiality.
- It is critically important for the United Nations to gain and maintain the confidence and cooperation of all in order to operate independently and effectively, especially in situations that are politically charged.
- On 2 February 2017, the UN General Assembly adopted without a vote resolution 71/275 — introduced by Turkmenistan, recognized by the UN as a permanently neutral state since 12 December 1995
- It noted the link between the preservation of peace and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and declared 12 December as the International Day of Neutrality.