Current affairs (19th DECEMBER)
Pm MODI INAUGURATED WORLD'S LARGEST RENEWABLE PARK
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the 30,000 megawatt (MW) capacity hybrid renewable energy park in Kutch district of Gujarat.
- It will be the largest renewable energy park of its kind in the world. It is expected to play a major role in fulfilling India’s vision of generating 450 GW (4,50,000 mw) of power by 2030.
- The park is being constructed between Khawda and Vighakhot villages near India-Pakistan border. The renewable park will have two dedicated zones, one each for the wind energy and solar energy.
- It will be spread over 72,600 hectares of waste land, including 49,600 hectares for solar project and 23,000 hectares of land for wind power.
ISRO SETS UP DEDICATED CONTROL CENTRE 'NETRA'
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has set up a dedicated Space Situational Awareness (SSA) Control Centre named “NETRA”, at its ISTRAC campus at Peenya, Bengaluru.
- The ISRO SSA Control Centre ‘NETRA’ was formally inaugurated by ISRO Chairman K Sivan.
- The “NEtwork for space object TRacking and Analysis (NETRA)” will monitor, track and protect India’s space assets. It will function as a hub of all SSA activities within India.
- It has been set up as a ‘Directorate of Space Situational Awareness and Management (DSSAM)’ aiming to protect high valued space assets from space debris close approaches and collisions.
- The state-of-the-art facility, dedicated to SSA activities, will also help to coordinate between Indian agencies, their foreign counterparts and international bodies.
- The main elements of NETRA would be a radar, an optical telescope facility, and a control centre.
- SSA is the science of tracking objects (man-made and natural) that are in orbit and also predicting what they would be at a given point in time. Only the US, Russia and Europe have similar facility in place to track space objects and share collision warnings.
- ISRO Chairman: Sivan.
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
QATAR & SAUDI ARABIA TO HOST 2030 & 2034 ASIAN GAMES
- The 2030 Asian Games were awarded to Doha, Qatar and the 2034 event went to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia after a deal was struck between the rival nations.
- Doha beat Riyadh for the 2030 Games in the vote at the Olympic Council of Asia’s (OCA) general assembly.
- The vote took place amid a bitter and long-running political dispute between Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Saudi Arabia is one of four countries which has imposed a trade and travel boycott on Qatar since 2017.
- The OCA reached a deal to vote on the 2030 host but to give the other candidate the 2034 event.
- Olympic Council of Asia Headquarters: Kuwait City, Kuwait.
- Olympic Council of Asia President: Ahmed Al-Fahad Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah.
- Olympic Council of Asia Founded: 16 November 1982.
- Olympic Council of Asia Motto: Ever Onward.
NASA SELECT RAJA CHARI AS COMMANDER OF SPACEX CREW
- NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA) have selected Indian-American Raja Chari to be the Commander of the SpaceX Crew-3 mission to the International Space Station.
- Presently Raja Chari, is a colonel in the US Air Force. He will be the commander of SpaceX Crew-3 mission, while Nasa’s Tom Marshburn will be pilot and ESA’s Matthias Maurer will serve as a mission specialist. This mission is expected to be launched next year.
- When Chari, Marshburn, and Maurer arrive at the orbiting laboratory, they will become expedition crew members for the duration of their six-month stay.
- The crew will have a slight overlap with the Crew-2 astronauts, who are expected to launch in the spring of 2021.
- Chari was born in Milwaukee, but considers Cedar Falls, Iowa, his hometown. Raja Chari’s father Srinivas Chari left for the US from Hyderabad at a young age for an engineering degree.
- He is a colonel in the US Air Force and joins the mission with extensive experience as a test pilot. For Raja Chari, this will be the first spaceflight. He became a Nasa astronaut in 2017.
- The administrator of the NASA: Jim Bridenstine.
- Headquarters of NASA: Washington D.C., United States.
SAIL AWARDED WITH GOLDEN PEACOCK ENVIRONMENT AWARD
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has been awarded with the prestigious Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for the year 2020 in the Steel Sector by the Institute of Directors.
- The company has been the winner of this award for successive two years and this bears testimony to the efforts made by it for sustainable and environmentally responsible steel making. This award is one of the most coveted awards in the category.
- SAIL, as its Corporate Responsibility for Environment Protection continuously focuses on adopting various environmental measures including, upgrading of pollution control facilities, treatment & recirculation of wastewater from individual units & outfalls, enhancement in the green cover in & around Plants & Units, efficient handling of different solid wastes (viz. process waste, hazardous waste, canteen/township waste), carbon sequestration through afforestation, eco-restoration of mined out area, among others.
- Also, the impact of SAIL’s initiatives and best practices on improving cleaner environment, reducing emissions & discharges, mitigating impacts of climate change and helping the Company to conduct its operations in environmentally benign manner has been recognized.
Chairman of SAIL: Anil Kumar Chaudhary.
SAIL Headquarters: New Delhi.
SAIL founded on: 19 January 1954.
CANARA BANK LAUNCHED FX 4U FOR FOREX REMITTANCE
- Canara Bank has launched FX 4 U that enables its entire internet banking users to handle forex transactions hasslefree.
- FX 4 U is used for forex remittance through internet banking. With this development, eligible customers will be able to undertake remittance facility in adherence to the FEMA regulations 1999.
- Once the letter of credit (LC) module is activated, the corporate customers can make and submit LC applications with documents through internet banking.
- Corporate customers can make and submit the LC applications along with documents through internet banking once the LC module is activated.
- The transactions that are submitted through internet banking will flow seamlessly to the Centralized Process Centre – Forex Transactions (CPCFT), where the Compliance and accounting will be done and transmitted through The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT).
- Syndicate Bank was amalgamated into Canara Bank on April 2020.
- Canara Bank Founded: July 1906 by Shri Ammembal Subba Rao Pai.
- Canara Bank Tagline: Together We Can.
- Canara Bank MD & CEO: L V Prabhakar.
- Canara Bank Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka.
INTERNATIONAL MIGRANTS DAY: 18TH DECEMBER
- The International Migrants Day is observed globally on 18 December every year.
- In December 2000, the UN General Assembly proclaimed 18 December as International Migrants Day after considering the large and increasing number of migrants in the world. The theme of International Migrants Day 2020 is ‘Reimagining Human Mobility’.
- The day marks the anniversary of the adoption of the International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families, which was adopted by the United Nations (UN) on 18 December 1990.