Current affairs (20TH & 21ST DECEMBER)
PM MODI HOLDS VIRTUAL SUMMIT WITH SHEIKH HASINA
- The Government of India and Bangladesh held a virtual summit to hold comprehensive discussions on the entire spectrum of the bilateral relationship, including further strengthening cooperation in the post-COVID-19 era.
- The meeting was led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina.
- The two leaders jointly inaugurated the Chilahati-Haldibari rail link, which would connect the borders of the two neighbouring countries.
- The rail route lies between Haldibari in West Bengal and Chilahati in Bangladesh. It is re-opened after a gap of 55 years. The railway line has been defunct after rail links between India and then East Pakistan snapped in 1965.
- Both the leaders also digitally inaugurated the digital exhibition in the honour of Mahatma Gandhi and Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rehman.
- The Indian side also released a postal stamp to commemorate Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Apart from this, the two sides signed MoUs and agreements in various fields.7
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina; Capital: Dhaka; Currency:
NAVEEN PATNAIK LAUNCHEs 'PARESHRAM' PORTAL
- Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik through a video conference, launched ‘Pareshram’ Portal along with 22 online services of Labour and Employees State Insurance Department.
- The Portal and the Online Services shall be helpful in “Ease of Doing Business” and contribute significantly to the industrial development of the State. The Portal will provide 52 types of services in the coming days.
- This technology is the foundation of 5-T initiative and this will help in transformation, hoped that information regarding different Labour Laws will be available and industries, commercial organisations, small entrepreneurs and public will be benefited through this Portal.
- Chief Minister of Odisha: Naveen Patnaik.
- Odisha Capital:
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
UP GOVERNMENT SET TO LAUNCH 'KISAN KALYAN MISSION'
- Uttar Pradesh government will launch a special program to double the income of farmers. The program named as “Kisan Kalyan Mission” will cover all assembly constituencies of the state. Under the Kisan Kalyan mission, various programs will be organised across the state.
- Exhibitions of agriculture and Associate sectors will be organised which will include the products of MSME sector units and livelihood missions.
- Farmer meetings will also be organised in which progressive farmers, scientist and workers associated with Agriculture Department will explain the scientific farming and provide information about the schemes of the government.
- Farmers will be given benefit under the various schemes of the agriculture department during these events.
- Under the Kisan Kalyan mission, many departments of state government like agriculture marketing Mandi Parishad, Horticulture, animal husbandry, fisheries, sugarcane food and supply and Panchayati Raj will work together.
- Uttar Pradesh Capital:
- Uttar Pradesh Governor: Anandiben Patel.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath.
35TH EDITION OF INDIA-INDONESIA NAVAL CORPAT
- The 35th edition of India-Indonesia Coordinated Patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Indonesian Navy is being conducted from 17 to 18 December 2020.
- The 35th IND – INDO CORPAT will contribute towards the Indian Navy’s efforts to consolidate inter-operability and forge strong bonds of friendship across the Indo Pacific.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kulish, an indigenously built missile corvette along with P8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) will undertake coordinated patrol with Indonesian Naval Ship KRI Cut Nyak Dien, a Kapitan Pattimura (Parchim I) class corvette and an MPA of the Indonesian Navy.
- To reinforce maritime links, the two navies have been carrying out CORPAT along their International Maritime Boundary Line since 2002, with the aim of ensuring safety and security of shipping and international trade in the region.
- CORPATs build up understanding and interoperability between navies and facilitate the institution of measures to prevent and suppress Illegal Unreported Unregulated (IUU) fishing, drug trafficking, maritime terrorism, armed robbery and piracy.
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.
- Indian Navy Founded: 26 January 1950
ADB 300MN USD LOAN TO UPGRADE POWER PROJECTS IN UP
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed $300 million loan agreement with the Government of India to upgrade rural power distribution networks in Uttar Pradesh.
- This upgradation helps to provide reliable electricity supply to consumers in the state. This is the first tranche of the loan for the Uttar Pradesh Power Distribution Network Rehabilitation Project.
- Overall, the $430 million multi-tranche financing facility (MFF) has been approved for the project constituting two tranches.
- The project envisages conversion of 65,000 kilometres (km) of rural low-voltage distribution lines from bare conductors to aerial bundled conductors (ABC) to create a robust distribution network that will benefit an estimated 70 million people in 46,000 villages
INDIA PLEDGES 1MN USD TO WORLD ANTI-DOPING AGENCY
- India has pledged a sum of USD 1 million to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), towards its scientific research budget, to ensure an atmosphere of Clean Sport globally.
- The contribution made by India is the highest among contributions made by other world governments, including China, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
- This contribution is over and above the annual contribution made to WADA’s core budget by India.
- The sum will be used by WADA to develop innovative anti-doping testing and detection methods, and further strengthen WADA’s independent Investigations and Intelligence Department.
- The total contribution of all member nations will be matched by an equal sum by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to create a corpus of USD 10 million.
- President of WADA: Sir Craig Reedie.
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada.
- Founded on: 10 November 1999.
KYLIE JENNER TOPS FORBES HIGHEST PAID CELEBRITIES
- American media personality and reality TV star, Kylie Jenner has been crowned the highest-paid celebrity of 2020 by Forbes.
- The top-earning stars in the world earned a combined of $6.1 billion in 2020 with Kylie Jenner. Setting aside Kylie’s history with Forbes, the financial experts there calculated her earning this year to be at $590 million after she sold a majority of her beauty brand’s stake to Coty Inc.
- Ranked at number 2 on the list by making $170 million was American rapper and record producer Kanye West, who is also coincidentally Kylie’s brother-in-law.
- In addition to Tyler Perry, Howard Stern, and Dwayne Johnson, A-lister athletes like Roger Federer, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Neymar and LeBron James helped round out the top 10.
- Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the entertainment industry, this year’s combined total of USD 6.1 billion was USD 200 million lesser than that of 2019.
ROBERT LEWANDOWSKI & LUCY BRONZE WINS FIFA AWARDS
- The Bayern Munich striker, Robert Lewandowski has been named The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2020, beating off competition from last year’s winner Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
- The 32-year-old Lewandowski, top scorer in Europe and winner of the Champions League with Bayern.
- Manchester City full-back, Lucy Bronze won the women’s best player award, becoming the first female English player to take the prize.
- It is the first occasion for both Lewandowski and Bronze to win the award, with the Pole only the second player after Luka Modric in 2018 to break 13-year Messi-Ronaldo hegemony.
UN ARABIC LANGUAGE DAY 2020: 18TH DECEMBER
- UN Arabic Language Day is observed annually on December 18 every year.
- The day was established by the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2010 to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six of its official languages throughout the Organization.
- December 18 was chosen as the date for the Arabic language as it is “the day in 1973 when the General Assembly approved Arabic as an official UN language “.
UNESCO headquarters: Paris, France.
UNESCO Head: Audrey Azoulay.
UNESCO Founded on: 16 November 1945.