Current affairs (24th DECEMBER)
INDIA-VIETNAM LEADER'S SUMMIT HELD VIRTUALLY
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Nguyen Xuan Phuc, jointly addressed the India-Vietnam Virtual Summit, via video conferencing.
- During the Summit, a ‘Joint Vision for Peace, Prosperity and People’ document was adopted to guide the future development of the India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.
- Both leaders agreed to support each other’s national development priorities and work together towards the shared objective of a peaceful, stable, secure, free, open, inclusive and rules-based Indo-Pacific region.
- India and Vietnam signed seven agreements during the virtual summit in areas such as defence, scientific research, renewable energy, nuclear energy, petro-chemicals, and cancer treatment.
PM MODI ADDRESSED 6TH INDIA-JAPAN SAMVAD CONFERENCE
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed the sixth edition of the India-Japan SAMVAD conference 2020, via virtual conferencing.
- The purpose of this Samvad Conference is to discuss the need to build the future of Asia on the positive influence of traditions of non-violence and democracy in Asia.
- During the conference, the PM proposed to create a library of traditional Buddhist literature and scriptures in India.
- This library will collect digital copies of Buddhist literature from across different parts of the world. The library will then translate these works and make them available for all scholars and monks of Buddhism.
PM MODI INAUGURATES INDIA INTERNATIONAL SCIENCE FEST.
- The India International Science Festival (IISF) 2020 got off to a grand start with the inaugural address by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the presence of Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan.
- IISF 2020 festival is being organized in a virtual mode and is being held from 22-25 December, 2020.
- The Festival is a celebration of science as India has a rich legacy in science, technology and innovation. The New National Education Policy will help in fostering scientific temper from an early age.
- The focus has shifted from outlays to the outcome, from textbooks to research and application. The Policy will encourage the creation of a pool of top-quality teachers.
- It is expected that this approach will help budding scientists. This is being supplemented by Atal Innovation Mission and Atal Tinkering labs.
- IISF was launched in 2015. IISF aims to promote science and technology. It aims at engaging the public with science, celebrating the joy of science and further showing how science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) can provide solutions to improve lives.
- The main objective of the festival is to help the youth develop 21st-century skills, with a focus on scientific knowledge, creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork.
'JSA II: CATCH THE RAIN' AWARENESS CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED
- “Jal Shakti Abhiyan II: Catch the Rain” Awareness Generation Campaign launched to promote rainwater harvesting.
- The National Water Mission launched a publicity campaign "Jal Shakti Abhiyan II: Catch the Rain" to promote rainwater harvesting.
- The National Water Mission launched the campaign in cooperation with Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- As a preparatory stage for JSA-II, the Ministry has invited NYKS to carry out a “Catch the Rain” awareness campaign to cover 623 districts this campaign will be held from December 2020 to March 2021.
- NYKS will carry out this awareness-raising campaign through various IEC activities, including educational and motivational programs and mass awareness campaigns.
- During this period, NYKS teams will also meet the district administrations, line departments, and water agencies, hold meetings with pradhans, local influencers, and volunteers to further the cause, and also prepare plans for the water conservation to be taken up in the next phase of the campaign.
CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA TIES UP WITH NPCI
- The Central Bank of India has launched a unique variant of a contactless debit card under the name ‘RuPay Select’, in association with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Central Bank RuPay Select Debit cardholders will be able to avail complimentary membership and concessional access to golf courses, gyms, spas and restaurants.
- This RuPay Debit Select Card will focus on customers’ lifestyle, fitness, rejuvenation, nutrition and personal care.
- The card comes with features such as airport lounge access to over 20 domestic and more than 500 international lounges.
- The card will also facilitate offline transactions in both transits as well as retail purchases. Apart from this, the cardholders would also be entitled to discounted health check-ups with this National Common Mobility Debit Card (NCMC).
- Additionally, it comes up with an accidental and permanent disability insurance cover up to 10 lakh at no extra cost to customers.
- National Payments Corporation of India MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe.
- National Payments Corporation of India Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Central Bank of India Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Central Bank of India CEO: Pallav Mohapatra.
LEWIS HAMILTON WON BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR
- Formula 1 world champion, Lewis Hamilton has won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2020. This is the second time that the 35-year-old Hamilton has been crowned Sports Personality of the Year. Prior to this, he won the award in 2014.
Other award winners at Sports Personality 2020
- Helen Rollason Award: Captain Sir Tom Moore
- Expert Special Panel Award: Marcus Rashford
- Coach of the Year: Jurgen Klopp (Football)
- Team of the Year: Liverpool FC
- Unsung Hero: Sgt Matt Ratana
- Captain Tom Young Unsung Hero: Tobias Weller
- Young Sports Personality of the Year: Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix (British diver)
- JAVADEAR RELEASED 'STATUS OF LEOPARD IN INDIA 2018'
- The Union environment minister, Prakash Javadekar has released a report titled the ‘Status of Leopard in India 2018’.
- As per the report, the population of leopard in India has increased by 60 per cent in four years since 2014.
- India now has 12,852 leopards as per 2018 estimate, compared to the previous estimate of 7910 conducted in 2014.
- The States of Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra recorded the highest leopard estimates at 3,421, 1,783, and 1,690 respectively.
KISAN DIWAS OR NATIONAL FARMER'S DAY: 23RD DECEMBER
- Kisan Diwas (Divas) or National Farmer’s Day or Kisan Samman Divas is observed in India on 23 December.
- The day is observed to mark the birthday of Chaudhary Charan Singh, the fifth Prime Minister of the Indian Republic.
- The aim is to promote awareness among the citizens to understand the importance of the contributions of the farmers to the society.
- Agriculture is the backbone for India’s economic development, as more than 40% of the total employment in India is employed in the Agricultural sector.
- Charan Singh was born in 1902 at Noorpur in Meerut district, Uttar Pradesh. Charan Singh served as the Prime Minister of India from 28 July 1979 to 14 January 1980. Chaudhary Charan Singh has done various deeds to enhance the scenario of Indian agriculture.
- His contribution to the agricultural sector introduced several reforms and policies in India. Charan Singh’s farmer background assisted him to comprehend the actual constraints of the farmer and he contributed a lot to support them.
- He also attributed to invent and execute the Zamindari Abolition Act. He died on 29 May 1987.