Current Affairs(24TH NOVEMBER)
LAUNCH OF NTERNATIONAL VERSION OF UMANG APP
- Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched the UMANG mobile app International version in coordination with Ministry of External Affairs for select countries that include USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE, Netherlands, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
- The Union Minister also launched an e-Book which presents major milestones of UMANG and major services available on UMANG App classified into various categories.
- Mr Prasad also unveiled the newly instituted UMANG Awards for Partner Departments of Centre and States based on the highest number of transactions across services.
- The UMANG mobile app –Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance is a Government of India all-in-one single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-lingual, multi-service Mobile App.
- It is providing access to high impact services of various Government of India Departments and State Governments.
- It will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad, to avail Government of India services, anytime. It will also help in taking India to the world through ‘Indian Culture’ services available on UMANG and create interest amongst foreign tourists to visit India.
INDIA'S 100 HIGH-IMPACT PROJECTS FOR AFGHANISTAN
- The 2020 Afghanistan Conference was organized in Geneva from 23-24 November 2020 virtually. The External Affairs Minister of India, Dr S. Jaishankar led the Indian delegation at the conference.
- The Conference was co-hosted by the United Nations, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, and the Government of Finland. India announced a slew of new development projects for Afghanistan during the conference, which includes:
- Construction of the Shatoot Dam, which would provide safe drinking water to 2 million residents of Kabul city. This dam will be built on the 202-kilometre Phul-e-Khumri transmission line, which was built by India in 2019 to provide electricity to Kabul city.
- India has introduced a brand new section of over 100 high-impact neighbourhood initiatives in Afghanistan value USD 80 million because the nation’s growth portfolio within the war-ravaged nation has reached over USD three billion to this point.
- Afghanistan President: Ashraf Ghani.
- Afghanistan Official languages: Pashto, Dari.
RBI IMPOSED BAN ON MANTA URBAN COOPERATIVE BANK
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has banned the Manta Urban Cooperative Bank in Jalna district of Maharashtra for six months for payment of money and loan transactions.
- The central bank has given some instructions to this bank, which will be effective for six months since the bank closed on 17 November 2020.
- According to these instructions, this bank will not be able to make any loan or loan without RBI permission, nor will it be able to renew the old loans and make any investment.
- Bank has also been banned from accepting new deposits. He will not be able to make any payment nor make any agreement to pay.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das.
- Deputy Governors of RBI: BP Kanungo, MK Jain, MD Patra and Rajeshwar Rao.
- Headquarters of RBI: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
K SIVAN: DOCTOR OF SCIENCE HONORARY DOCTORATE
- Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala presented Doctor of Science honorary doctorate upon ISRO Chairman K Sivan.
- The Visvesvaraya Technological University has conferred the doctorate to him. The Governor highly praised the role of ISRO in defining our Space programme and the social role that it has played in the country.
- Kailasavadivoo Sivan (born 14 April 1957) is an Indian space scientist who is the current Secretary (Space) and ex-officio chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation and Space Commission.
- He has previously served as the Director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Center and the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre.
- Sivan joined ISRO in 1982 to participate on the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) Project.
5TH INDIA INTERNATIONAL CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL CANCELLED
- The 5th India International Cherry Blossom Festival has been cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The festival is held every year in Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, to celebrate the unique autumn flowering of the Himalayan cherry blossoms and mark the beginning of India’s version of autumn.
- Every year, Shillong hosts a plethora of events like fitness art, fashion show, rock concerts and much more to mark the festival.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma.
- Meghalaya Governor: Satya Pal Malik.
27TH EDITION OF INDIA-SINGAPORE MARITIME EXERCISE
- The 27th edition of India – Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise SIMBEX-20 has been organised from 23 to 25 November 2020 in the Andaman Sea.
- Indian Navy (IN) is the host for the 2020 edition of SIMBEX. The SIMBEX series of exercises are being held between the Indian Navy and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), annually since 1994.
- The exercise aims at enhancing mutual inter-operability and imbibing best practices from each other.
- From the Indian side, destroyer Rana with integral Chetak helicopter and indigenously built corvettes Kamorta and Karmuk, IN submarine Sindhuraj and P8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft will participate in the exercise.
- RSN will be represented by the ‘Formidable’ Class frigates ‘Intrepid’ and ‘Steadfast’ with integral S70B helicopter and ‘Endurance’ Class Landing Ship Tank ‘Endeavour’ in the exercise.
AAI OBSERVES AVIATION SAFETY SAFETY AWARENESS WEEK
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) is observing the Aviation Safety Awareness Week 2020 from 23 November to 27 November 2020. The week-long celebration is being observed at all airports and ANS locations managed by AAI across India.
- Airport Directors will be organizing awareness programme in school/colleges on the role of local residents in aviation safety to make people of the surrounding community aware of their role in ensuring the safety of aircraft operating in the local airport.
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation aims to achieve long term objective of Zero fatality by the year 2030 as envisaged by ICAO in its Global Aviation Safety Plan (GASP-2020-22) through better managed safety systems of stakeholders.
- Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of Civil Aviation: Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Airports Authority of India Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Airports Authority of India Founded: 1 April 1995.
- Airports Authority of India Chairman: Arvind Singh.
DANIIL MEDVEDEV BEAT DOMINIC THIEM TO WIN ATP TOUR
- In Tennis, Daniil Medvedev (Russia) beat Dominic Thiem (Austria) to win the 2020 ATP Tour Finals, held in London.
- This is the biggest title of his career. The 24-year-old will finish the year at fourth position in the world rankings.
- In the doubles final, Dutch-Croatian duo Wesley Koolhof and Nikola Mektic claimed their first title together after surpassing Jurgen Melzer and Edouard Roger-Vasselin.
ED'S PRELIMINARY INQUIRY OF KIIF BOARD
- Recently, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has opened a preliminary inquiry to examine if borrowings by the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) from overseas markets violated the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) 1999.
- KIIFB was established to manage the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund (KIIF), as per the KIIF Act 1999. In 2016, the government changed the role of KIIFB from handler of investment bonds to an entity to mobilise the resources.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) highlighted that the KIIFB had raised Rs. 2,150 crore from the international market without the consent of the Central government in 2019. A prior consent of the Government of India is necessary before a State Government raises a loan.
- KIIFB had also overstepped its legal bounds by issuing masala bonds to raise money from foreign markets in violation of Article 293 (1) of the Constitution.
- Article 293 (1): The executive power of a State extends to borrowing within the territory of India upon the security of the Consolidated Fund of the State within such limits.
- The ED has also asked the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) about the details of ‘no objection certificate’ it had supposedly extended to the KIIFB, enabling the agency to take sizable loans from the foreign financial market.