current affairs(27TH NOVEMBER)
PM MODI INAUGURATED 3RD GLOBAL RENEWABLE ENERGY
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 3rd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-Invest 2020) through video conferencing.
- The summit is organised by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy. The theme for RE-Invest 2020 is ‘Innovations for Sustainable Energy Transition’. The first two editions of RE-Invest were held in 2015 and 2018.
- The two day virtual programme will provide an international forum for investment promotion in renewable energy sector and an opportunity to various countries, states, business houses & organizations to showcase their strategies, achievements and expectations.
- It must be noted that India has set an ambitious target of having 175GW of renewable energy by 2022 and 450GW by 2030.
MERCEDES-BENZ JOINS HANDS WITH SBI TO HNI CUSTOMERS
- Mercedes-Benz has joined hands with State Bank of India (SBI) to offer financial benefits to the lender’s High Net Worth Individual (HNI) customers.
- This collaboration will give the luxury automobile manufacturer access to State Bank of India’s High Net worth Individual (HNI) customer base, while the bank’s customers will enjoy exclusive benefits at the time of booking a Mercedes-Benz car.
- The collaboration with SBI gives an exciting opportunity to expand our customer base and reach out to the potential HNI customers of the bank with products and services.
- This collaboration includes financial benefits like ‘attractive’ rate of interest on loans with tenure up to five years and offers on the processing fee.
- There is also an additional benefit of Rs 25,000 for customers booking a Mercedes-Benz vehicle via SBI Yono platform. They can even get a car loan sanctioned through SBI Yono after fulfilling the eligibility criteria.
- The customers need to produce online booking confirmation and SBI loan sanction letter at the Mercedes-Benz dealership to avail the benefits.
10TH NATIONAL SCIENCE FILM FESTIVAL 2020
- The 10th edition of the prestigious National science film festival kicked off on 24th November 2020 in a virtual mode.
- The four-day long film festival has been jointly organized by Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous agency under the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India and the Tripura State Council of Science and Technology, Govt. of Tripura from 24 to 27 November 2020.
- The science film festival offers a unique platform to showcase the science films made by professionals, amateur and student filmmakers under various themes, to promote science films in India.
- A total of 372 films in different languages were received for participation, of which 115 films have been shortlisted by the ten-member jury to be screened during the festival.
- These films are in Hindi, English, Urdu, Malayalam, Kashmiri, Bengali, Marathi, Punjabi and Tamil languages.
IPPB: 'PRADHAN MANTRI JEEVAN JYOTI BIMA YOJANA'
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has launched a low-cost insurance scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY)’ for its customers to bring large sections of the underserved and unserved population into the financial mainstream.
- IPPB has collaborated with PNB MetLife India Insurance Company for this product.
- To provide protection and financial security to the poor and underprivileged, especially in unbanked and remote areas of India, in the unforeseen and unfortunate event of the loss of a family member who is primarily the breadwinner.
- Anyone who has a savings account with IPPB. Minimum age 18 years and a maximum age 50 years. The maximum coverage of Rs 2,00,000 per life irrespective of multiple accounts/multiple certificates of insurance held under the PMJJBY scheme. Premium Rs 330 to be paid annually.
- Managing Director & CEO of IPPB: Venkataramu.
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched IPPB in 2018.
NEW ZEALAND'S GREG BARCLAY NEW ICC CHAIRMAN
- Auckland-based commercial lawyer and director of New Zealand Cricket (NZC) since 2012, Greg Barclay has been elected as the new chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC), after the second round of voting.
- Barclay succeeds India’s Shashank Manohar who stepped down in July 2020 and will replace Imran Khwaja, who is currently the interim chairman.
- He was serving as NZC’S representative on the board of the International Cricket Council and had also served as the director of ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2015.
- CEO of ICC: Manu Sawhney.
- Headquarters of ICC: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
DRDO FLAGS OFF FIRST 'VARUNASTRA' HEAVY TORPEDO
- The Defence Research and Development (DRDO) Chairman G Satheesh Reddy has flagged off the first Production unit of Heavy Weight Torpedo (HWT), Varunastra.
- The Varunastra has been designed and developed by Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) of DRDO while Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), Vishakhapatnam has manufactured the torpedo for the Indian Navy.
- Varunastra is a ship-launched, heavyweight, electrically propelled anti-submarine torpedo.
- It can be launched from ships that can fire heavyweight torpedoes to engage quiet submarines in deep and shallow waters.
FORMER WORLD BANK'S PRESIDENT PASSES AWAY
- Australian-American lawyer, investment banker, and economist James Wolfensohn, who served as the President of the World Bank for 10 years, passed away.
- He had served as the ninth president of the World Bank Group from 1995 to 2005. Together with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Wolfensohn launched the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries Initiative in 1996
- The program that eventually provided more than $53 billion in debt relief to 27 of the world’s poorest countries.
INDIAN CONSTITUTION DAY: 26TH NOVEMBER
- In India, 26 November is celebrated as Constitution Day or Samvidhan Diwas. On this day in 1949, the constitution was adopted which came into force on January 26, 1950, marking the beginning of a new era in the history of India.
- On 19th November 2015, during the year-long celebration of the 125th birth anniversary of Dr B R Ambedkar, Government of India declared November 26th as the Constitution Day.
- Previously this day was celebrated as Law Day. 26 November was chosen to spread the importance of the constitution and to spread thoughts and ideas of Ambedkar.