current affairs(28TH NOVEMBER)
1. JAVADEKAR LAUNCHES INDIA CLIMATE CHANGE PORTAL
- Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar has launched the “India Climate Change Knowledge Portal”.
- According to Prakash Javadekar, India has practically achieved its pre-2020 climate action targets. He said, though India is not responsible for climate change it is taking responsible action to mitigate the challenge.
- The portal will have all the major steps the Government is taking at both national and international levels to address the climate change issues.
- Portal will be a single-point information resource that provides information on the different climate initiatives taken by various Line Ministries enabling users to access status on these initiatives.
LADAKH'S LARGEST SOLAR PROJECT AT LEH IAF STATION
- The largest solar power project at a high altitude, setup under the Centre’s”Make in India” initiative of the Central government for the defence sector has been set up at Leh IAF station in the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- The project namely”Provision of Solar Photo Voltaic Powerplant 1.5 MW” will provide sustainable energy alternative to fossil fuel and traditional methods of energy generation.
- The approximate cost of setting up the project is around Rs 122 crore. It has been completed within 12 months, as against its completion deadline of March 31, 2021.
- It is the largest installed solar project till date out of the target of 300 MW in three phases for defence sectors and 14 MW for Leh region as set by the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
DIPAM SIGNS AN AGREEMENT WITH WORLD BANK
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) has signed an agreement with the World Bank, to provide advisory services to DIPAM for asset monetization.
- DIPAM is mandated with facilitating monetization of non-core assets of government CPSEs under strategic disinvestment or closure and enemy property of the value of 100 crore and above.
- DIPAM has a framework for monetizing non-core assets. The World Bank advisory project, approved by the Finance Minister
- It is aimed at analyzing public asset monetization in India and benchmarking its institutional and business models against international best practices as well as supporting the development of operational guidelines and capacity building for their implementation.
- Headquarters of World Bank: Washington, D.C., United States.
- President of World Bank: David Malpass.
AYODHYA AIRPORT IN UTTAR PRADESH TO BE RENAMED
- Uttar Pradesh Cabinet has cleared the proposal to rename the Ayodhya airport as Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram Airport, Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh.
- The proposal for the same will be sent to the Ministry of Civil Aviation after it is passed by the state Assembly.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Adityanath had announced on the occasion of Deepotsav on Diwali eve in November 2018 that Ayodhya will have both international and domestic terminals and could potentially be one of the largest airports of UP.
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh: Yogi Aditya Nath
- Governor of Uttar Pradesh: Anandiben Patel.
MALAYALAM FILM 'JALLIKATTU': INDIA’S ENTRY FOR OSCARS
- Malayalam film “Jallikattu”, directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery, has been selected as India’s official entry for the Best International Feature Film category for the 93rd Academy Awards.
- Jallikattu is the third Malayalam film after Guru (1997) and Adaminte Makan Abu (2011) to be chosen as the country’s official entry for the Oscars.
- Jallikattu premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, garnering praise from critics. It was later screened at the Busan International Film Festival and a host of other major venues.
- In 2019, Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy, starring Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt, was India’s entry to the Oscars.
FATHER of INDIAN IT INDUSTRY FC KOHLI PASSED AWAY
- Founder of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Faqir Chand Kohli, better known as the Father of the Indian IT industry, passed away. Besides being the founder, he was also the first CEO of TCS.
- Kohli also worked as the deputy general manager of Tata Power Company and was the Chairman of the Board of Governors of College of Engineering, Pune.
- As the first CEO of TCS, he pioneered India’s IT revolution and helped the country build the $190-billion IT industry. A visionary and pioneer by nature, he was a recipient of Padma Bhushan from the Government of India.
AIMPLB'S VICE PRESIDENT MAULANA SADIQ PASSED AWAY
- Vice president of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), Maulana Kalbe Sadiq passed away.
- He was born in Lucknow and was known for his lectures, mostly during Muharram. He was an educationist, Islamic scholar and ambassador of communal amity.
- Sadiq was the first to organise a Shia-Sunni namaz in the history of Lucknow. He received his early education from madrasa Sultan ul Madaris.
- He then moved to Aligarh Muslim University where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree. He later went on to pursue his master’s degree in Arabic literature from the same University. He then secured a doctoral degree from Lucknow University.
NATIONAL MILK DAY: 26TH NOVEMBER
- In India, November 26 is celebrated as National Milk Day, since 2014, to commemorate the birthday of the father of India’s White Revolution, Dr Verghese Kurien (also nicknamed as Milkman of India).
- The day was fixed by all the dairy majors of the country including the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), the Indian Dairy Association (IDA), along with 22 state-level milk federations.
- The significance of National Milk Day lies in the fact that this day celebrates the importance of milk in a person’s life.
- The Indian Dairy Association (IDA), in 2014, took the initiative to celebrate this day for the first time. The first National Milk Day was celebrated on 26 November 2014 where various milk producers from 22 states participated.
- World Milk Day is observed on 1 June every year by the United Nations.