current affairs(1ST DECEMBER)
NARENDRA SINGH TOMAR INAUGURATED 'SAHAKAR PRAGYA'
- The Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar recently unveiled a new initiative called Sahakar Pragya.
- Sahakar Pragya is an initiative of National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), to help in capacity development of the cooperative sector in India, through the training programme.
- Under this initiative, 45 new training modules have been developed for the farmers and would be imparted to primary cooperative societies in rural areas of the country by NCDC.
- The training modules aim to impart knowledge and organisational skills and attempt to prepare the primary cooperative societies across the country to be able to play a big role in the government’s AtmaNirbhar Bharat initiative.
PIYUSH GOYAL LAUNCHED ELECTRIFICATION OF RAILWAYS
- The Union Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal has inaugurated newly electrified Dhigawara-Bandikui section of North Western Railway (NWR) in the state of Rajasthan.
- The Minister also flagged off the first train on this newly electrified route. The Dhigawara-Bandikui section is on Delhi-Ajmer route via Jaipur.
- The Railways has set the target to electrify the entire percentage of railway lines across the country in a phased manner.
- Once these electrified trains start running, the trains that run on diesel will be stopped.
UTTARAKHAND CM INAUGURATED SURYADHAR LAKE
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has inaugurated the Suryadhar lake at Doiwala, Dehradun. The Suryadhar lake is 550 meters long, 28 meters wide and 10 meters deep with a capacity of 77,000 cubic meters.
- Besides fulfilling the drinking water and irrigational needs of 18-20 villages, the lake will recharge the water resources in the area and help build a healthy eco-system that will attract migratory birds.
- The state government’s plans to organize a water sports festival at the lake either by Makar Sankranti or Basant Panchami next year to showcase the beauty of its surrounding environs.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat.
- Governor of Uttarakhand: Baby Rani Maurya.
VARSHA JOSHI APPOINTED AS CHAIRPERSON OF NDDB
- The Government of India has appointed IAS Officer Varsha Joshi as the new Chairperson of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- She is presently served as Joint Secretary (CDD), Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Government of India.
- With incumbent Dilip Rath’s tenure as Chairman of NDDB ends on November 30, 2020, Joshi’s appointment is made effective from December 1, 2020, until further orders.
- National Dairy Development Board Founded: 16 July 1965.
- National Dairy Development Board Headquarters: Anand, Gujarat.
UTPAL KUMAR SINGH AS SECRETARY GENERAL OF LOK SABHA
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has appointed senior IAS officer Utpal Kumar Singh as Secretary-General of the Lok Sabha and Lok Sabha Secretariat.
- His appointment will come into effect from December 1, 2020. He will succeed incumbent Snehlata Shrivastava.
- Singh is a 1986 batch IAS officer of Uttrakhand Cadre and has been appointed as Secretary-General of the Lok Sabha in the rank and status of Cabinet Secretary.
BSF 56TH RAISING DAY: 1ST DECEMBER
- The Border Security Force (BSF), is observing its 56th Raising Day on 01 December 2020. BSF was formed on December 1, 1965, as a unified central agency, after the Indo-Pak and India-China wars
- It was established for ensuring the security of the borders of India and for matters connected therewith. BSF has been termed as the First Line of Defence of Indian Territories.
- It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of the Union of India and stands as the world’s largest border guarding force.
- BSF Director General: Rakesh Asthana.
- BSF Headquarters: New Delhi.
REMEMBRANCE DAY FOR ALL VICTIMS OF CHEMICAL WARFARE
- The United Nation recognised Day of Remembrance for all Victims of Chemical Warfare on 30th November every year since 2005.
- The day marks a tribute to the victims of chemical warfare, as well as to reaffirm the commitment of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- This is for the elimination of the threat of chemical weapons, thereby promoting the goals of peace, security, and multilateralism.
- The history of the serious efforts to achieve chemical disarmament that culminated in the conclusion of the Chemical Weapons Convention began more than a century ago.
- Chemical weapons were used on a massive scale during World War I, resulting in more than 100,000 fatalities and a million casualties.
WORLD AIDS DAY: 1ST DECEMBER
- Every year, on 1 December, the world commemorates World AIDS Day.
- The day provides an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV, to show support for people living with HIV and to commemorate those who have died from an AIDS-related illness.
- This year the theme of World AIDS Day is “Global solidarity, shared responsibility”. In 2020, the world’s attention has been focused by the COVID-19 pandemic on health and how pandemics affect lives and livelihoods.
- COVID-19 is showing once again how health is interlinked with other critical issues, such as reducing inequality, human rights, gender equality, social protection and economic growth.