CURRENT AFFAIRS(17TH NOVEMBER)
PM MODI UNVEILED STATUE OF SWAMI VIVEKANANDA IN JNU
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has unveiled a statue of Swami Vivekananda in Jawaharlal Nehru University Campus, New Delhi through video
- It took renowned sculptor Naresh Kumawat seven months to complete this statue of Swami Vivekananda on the JNU
- Located about 300 metres from a statue of India’s first prime minister, the statue of
Swami Vivekananda is about three feet taller than that of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- The event was also attended by Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and JNU vice-chancellor Jagadesh
- Swami Vivekananda 12 January 1863 – 4 July 1902), born Narendranath Datta was an Indian Hindu monk. He was a chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic
- He was a key figure in the introduction of the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the Western world, and is credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion during the late 19th
- HDFC Bank & IndusInd Bank have been put in the ‘red flag’ list, a system used for monitoring foreign portfolio investor (FPI)
- A listed company enters the list when the available legroom for overseas investment is less than 3% of the permissible limit. FPIs can invest up to 74% in both HDFC Bank and IndusInd
- The current FPI shareholding in case of HDFC Bank is 3 per cent, while that of
IndusInd Bank is 73. 1 percent.
- Besides these two, Novartis India and Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care
are the only other companies in the red-flag list.
- SBM Bank India, the wholly-owned subsidiary of State Bank of Mauritius has partnered with Fintech PayNearby to launch a neo banking platform.
- Both firms signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to build an “open banking” network towards
delivering basic banking solutions as well as advanced financial services, to their customers.
- The partnership would enable the Bank to offer a complete suite of digital and assisted banking solutions through PayNearby’s network of micro-enterprise and retail
- The deployment of the banking module will be done in a phased manner and will work seamlessly with the existing platforms at PayNearby outlets and
- SBM Bank India was the first foreign bank in India to obtain a banking licence from the Reserve Bank of India to operate as a Wholly Owned Subsidiary in January
- Neo bank is a type of bank that operates exclusively online, i.e., it does not have any traditional physical branch
- Neo banks are cheaper, faster. In one single platform, the neo bank can integrate the entire financial portfolio. It offers complete digital banking experience through mobile It is also known as an online bank, internet-only bank, virtual bank or digital bank.
- SBM Bank (India) Limited Headquarters: Mumbai,
- SBM Bank (India) Limited MD and CEO: Sidharth
- SpaceX has launched Four Astronauts (3 Americans, 1 Japanese) to the International Space Station on the first full-fledged taxi flight for NASA by a private They were launched by Falcon Rocket from the Kennedy Space Center.
- The capsule has been named as “Resilience”. The crew
was led by Commander Mike Hopkins, Shannon Walker, Victor Glover (First Black Astronaut on a long-term space station) mission and Japan’s Soichi Noguchi (First person in 40 years to launch on three types of spacecraft).
- Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California.
- It was founded in 2002 by Elon Musk with the goal of reducing space transportation costs to enable the colonization of
- SpaceX has developed several launch vehicles, the Starlink satellite constellation, the Dragon cargo spacecraft, and flown humans to the International Space Station on the SpaceX Dragon
ED DIRECTOR'S TEUNRE EXTENDED FOR ONE YEAR
- The Union government has extended the tenure of Enforcement Directorate (ED) Director Sanjay Kumar Mishra by a year after modifying his appointment order that was issued in
- His tenure was to end next week as the ED director’s post comes with a fixed term of two As per an order issued
by the Department of Revenue under the Union finance ministry on Friday, the 2018 order for appointment of Mishra has been modified.
- “The President of India is pleased to approve the modification in the earlier order dated November 19, 2018, appointing Shri Sanjay Kumar Mishra as director of enforcement in the Enforcement
- The ED is a central investigative agency that enforces two central laws, the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
- These laws were enacted to curb money laundering, terror financing, black money and hawala or illegal financial transactions that have cross-border
- Enforcement Directorate Founded: 1 May
- Enforcement Directorate Headquarters: New Delhi,
DR. SUSANTA KAR: A N BHADURI MEMORIAL LECTURE AWARD
- Recently, Susanta Kar of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research- Central Drug Research Institute (CSIR-CDRI), Lucknow has been chosen for this year's Prof. A N Bhaduri Memorial Lecture Award by the Society of Biological Chemists (India).
- The Society Of Biological Chemists (India) was founded
in 1930, with its HeadQuarters at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. CSIR- Central Drug Research Institute (CSIR-CDRI), is a premier drug research institute of India with its HeadQuarters at Lucknow.
- The award has been given to recognize the significant contributions towards defining the survival tactics of Leishmania
- Leishmania Donovani is a protozoan parasite that infects macrophages and is a causative agent of visceral leishmaniasis (Kala Azar), a lethal infectious disease affecting millions worldwide.
- Physicist Masatoshi Koshiba, who shared 2002 Nobel prize for the detection of cosmic neutrinos, passed
- Koshiba’s most famous work involved detecting neutrinos from a distant supernova explosion using a vast detector based in a mine in central Koshiba, a distinguished professor at the University of Tokyo.
- Koshiba devised the construction of giant underground chambers to detect neutrinos, elusive particles that stream from the
- Neutrinos offer a unique view of the sun’s inner workings because they are produced in its heart by the same process that causes the sun to
- His student, Takaaki Kajita, won the Nobel Prize in physics in 2015 for research at the Super- Kamiokande facility that found neutrinos have
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has initiated a probe into alleged abuse of dominant position by the company to promote its payments app, Google
- CCI highlighted two main anti market practices by google to unfairly push Google Pay it’s payment app:
- Mandatory Use: Google’s policy of mandatory use of Google Play’s payment system for purchasing the apps and IAPs (in-app purchases) in the Play
- Exclusionary Practices: It excluded other mobile wallets/UPI (Unified Payments Interface) apps as one of the effective payment options in Google Play’s payment
- The CCI also criticised Google’s policy to charge 30% commission for all app and in- app purchases. Since Google’s Play store cornered about 90% of all downloads, a significant volume of payments being processed in the market would thus be controlled by
- The probe against Google Pay comes days after the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) allowed rival Facebook-owned WhatsApp to go live on the UPI in the multi-bank