Current Affairs(5th NOVEMBER)
INS AIRAVAT UNDER OPERATION IN ‘MISSION SAGAR’
- As a part of Mission Sagar-II, the Indian Naval Ship (INS) Airavat has reached Sudan with 100 tonnes of food aid. Under Mission Sagar-II, INS Airavat will deliver food aid to Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea amid the COVID- 19
- The government of India has launched this initiative to provide assistance to friendly foreign countries to overcome natural calamities and COVID-19
- Mission Sagar-II follows the Mission Sagar-I, which was undertaken in May-June 2020, wherein India provided food and medicines to Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and
- It is in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) and highlights the importance accorded by India to relations with her maritime neighbors and further strengthens the existing
- SAGAR is India's policy or doctrine of maritime cooperation in the Indian Ocean region. On 12 March 2015, the Prime Minister of India had first taken reference to 'SAGAR Mission'.
- Ganga Utsav-2020 has been organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) jointly with the Ministry of Jal
- The three-day-long Ganga Utsav-2020 has been organized from 02 to 04 November 2020, virtually amidst COVID-19
- The annual event is organized to spread awareness about river Ganga and the need to keep the river clean and
- The 2020 edition marks the 12th anniversary of Ganga being accorded the status of
National River, on 4th November 2008.
- Minister of Jal Shakti: Gajendra Singh
- The Chief of Army Staff General, MM Naravane was conferred the honorary rank of General of the Nepali Army by President Bidya Devi
- He was honoured at a special ceremony at the President’s official residence ‘Shital Niwas’ in Kathmandu,
- The ceremony was attended by the Prime Minister of Nepal K.P. Sharma Oli, Indian Ambassador Vinay M. Kwatra and other senior officials of both the
- The practice follows a seven-decade-old tradition of conferring Army Chiefs of each other’s country with the honorary title. Commander-in-Chief General KM Cariappa was the first Indian Army Chief to be decorated with the title in
- In January last year, Chief of Nepali Army, General Purna Chandra Thapa, was also made the honorary General of the Indian Army by President Ram Nath Kovind at a ceremony in New
- Prime minister of Nepal: KP Sharma
- President of Nepal: Bidhya Devi
- Capital of Nepal:
- Bangladesh and US navies launched the ‘Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh 2020’ to expand relationships and broaden maritime awareness between the two
- The exercise demonstrates the U.S’s continuing commitment
to work with the Bangladesh military to address shared
maritime security concerns in the region and strengthen partnership to ensure a free and open Indo-Pacific region.
- The sea phase of the exercise will take place in the Bay of Bengal with ships from both countries.
- The events are designed to enhance interoperability between the two navies. S. and Bangladesh will work through coordinated deployment of surface ships, to include tactical maneuvers among other activities.
- CARAT 2020 underscores the shared vision of the US and Bangladesh for a free, open, inclusive, peaceful and secure Indo-Pacific
DRDO TEST-FIRED PINAKA ROCKET SYSTEM
- The enhanced version of PINAKA rocket system was successfully flight tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- This enhanced version of the Pinaka rocket would replace the existing Pinaka Mk-I rockets. While Mk-1 had a range of 40 km, the new variant can hit a target 45 to 60 km
- The design and development of Pinaka were done by DRDO laboratories based in Pune, namely Armament Research and Development Establishment, ARDE and High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, HEMRL.
- DRDO Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh
- DRDO Headquarters: New
FORMER CM OF BIHAR SATISH PRASAD SINGH PASSED AWAY
- Former Chief Minister and Socialist of Bihar, Satish Prasad Singh passed away. He was born on January 1, 1936, in Korchakka (now known as Satish Nagar) Village, Khagaria district,
- Satish Prasad Singh, the leader of Soshit Samaj Dal became
the 6th and the shortest- served CM of Bihar for 5 days (28 January to February 1, 1968) with the support of Indian National Congress (INC).
- He served as the MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) in 1967 from Parbatta (Vidhan Sabha constituency) Assembly on the Socialist Party
- He was elected as the Member of Parliament-MP to the 7th Lok Sabha on a Congress ticket from Khagaria constituency of Bihar in 1980. He joined BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party), but in 2013 he quit the
- A new book titled “Till We Win” by AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria and two other doctors will give a definitive account of India’s fight against Covid-19 and how to deal with the pandemic in the days to
- The book has been co-written by leading public policy and health systems expert Chandrakant Lahariya and renowned vaccine researcher and virologist Gagandeep Kang.
- The book deals with the “realization of inner strength and unity” amongst people of all walks of life in a country known for its cultural and linguistic
- It will hit the stands this month and published by Penguin Random House India. The book delves into how learning’s from Covid-19 pandemic can be used to strengthen the Indian health system, for better, forever.
- It is up to all of us to convert the challenge posed by pandemic as an opportunity to strengthen health
WORLD TSUNAMI AWARENESS DAY 2020
- World Tsunami Awareness Day was observed across the world on 5 November. The day is celebrated to spread awareness among people across the world in matters related to the dangers of
- In 2020, World Tsunami Awareness Day encourages the
development of national and community-level, local disaster risk reduction strategies to save more lives against disasters. This year’s observance promotes “Sendai Seven Campaign,” target.
- In December 2015, the UN General Assembly designated 5 November as World Tsunami Awareness Day, calling on countries, international bodies and civil society to raise tsunami awareness and share innovative approaches to risk
- World Tsunami Awareness Day was the brainchild of Japan, which due to its repeated, bitter experience has over the years built up major expertise in areas such as tsunami early warning, public action and building back better after a disaster to reduce future
- UN Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) facilitates the observance of World Tsunami Awareness Day in collaboration with the rest of the United Nations