Current Affairs(7TH NOVEMBER)
PM NARENDRA MODI CHAIRED 'VGIR 2020' CONFERENCE
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the Virtual Global Investor Roundtable (VGIR) 2020 Conference, aimed at attracting investment in the
- It provided a platform for exclusive dialogue between leading global institutional investors, Indian business leaders and the highest decision-makers from the government of India and financial market
- The Indian side included business leaders, financial market regulators, Finance minister
Nirmala Sitharaman and RBI governor Shaktikanta Das.
- The conference focused on discussions around India’s economic and investment outlook, structural reforms and the government’s vision for making the country a $5 trillion economy.
ü The Virtual Global Investor Roundtable (VGIR) was organised by the Ministry of Finance and the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund.
- The roundtable witnessed participation from 20 of the world’s largest pension and sovereign wealth funds with total assets under management of about USD 6
- These global institutional investors represent key regions including the US, Europe, Canada, Korea, Japan, Middle East, Australia, and
WHATSAPP PARTNERSHIP WITH 5 BANKS FOR UPI OPTIONS
- WhatsApp has partnered with five Indian banks to process its payment services. These are State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Jio Payments Bank.
- The Facebook-owned messaging platform, WhatsApp Inc., has received the approval from the National Payments
Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch its Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based payments services in India, to let users send or receive money across the country.
- The service can however be expanded in a graded manner. It means that initially, Whatsapp can only roll out the payments service to only its 20 million
- The payment system will be rolled out in ten Indian regional languages in the latest version of WhatsApp
- Manipur’s Gyanendro Ningombam was elected unopposed as the President of Hockey India, while former President Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad is back in the Hockey India Executive Board after being Elected Unopposed for the Senior Vice President post.
- Earlier, Gyanendro Ningombam has been serving as the Officiating President of Hockey India since July 2020. On being elected unopposed, Gyanendro becomes the first President from northeast India to spearhead Hockey
- He will serve as Head of the national federation for two years. Gyanendro has been associated with the discipline of Hockey in Manipur for the last 40 years, and has impressed with his work at the grassroots level.
- He was Senior Vice President of Hockey India, Senior Vice President of Manipur Hockey, and also Chief Executive Officer of Manipur Hockey. He also served as the editor of Meeyam, an evening daily in
- Hockey India Founded: 20 May
- Hockey India Headquarters: New
ü The 4th High-Level Meeting of the OPEC-India Dialogue
was hosted by the OPEC Secretariat.
- The Meeting was co-chaired by HE Mohammad Sanusi Barkindo, Secretary-General of OPEC and Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, India’s Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Minister of
- Key matters discussed at the meeting included rapidly changing global energy landscape, overcoming energy challenges, global oil price mechanisms, measures being taken by OPEC and its partners for balancing oil markets, and on ensuring oil supply security for India.
- This was the first time that the meeting of this Institutional Dialogue was held virtually due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The first such dialogue was held in
- It was informed that the next High-Level Meeting of the OPEC-India Dialogue will be held in 2021, and if possible in person, in New
ISRO LAUNCHES PSLV C49 WITH 10 SATELLITES
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched the 51st mission of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV). This is the first mission by ISRO in 2020.
- The carrier vehicle PSLV C49 will deliver 10 satellites in all with EOS-01 as the primary one. It is the 51st mission of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- The carrier was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. The EOS-01, an earth observation satellite, was intended to provide agriculture, forestry and disaster management
- The nine customer satellites are from Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (4) and USA (4). The customer satellites were being launched under a commercial agreement with NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), department of space.
ISRO Chairman: K.Sivan.
ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) Chairman, Dilip Rath has been unanimously elected to the board of global dairy body International Dairy Federation (IDF).
- He has been associated with IDF for the last 10 years as Member Secretary of Indian National Committee and as a member of the Standing Committee on Dairy Policy and Economics.
- Rath has played a key role in signing the Dairy Declaration at the IDF World Dairy Summit in Rotterdam in October 2016 between IDF and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). India ranks first among the world’s milk-producing nations and has the largest bovine population in the
- IDF is an international non-governmental, non-profit association having members from national committees constituted by dairy organisations in each
- International Dairy Federation Established in 1903.
- International Dairy Federation President: Piercristiano
- International Dairy Federation Headquarters: Brussels,
HARIHARAN WINS JC DANIELS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- Noted filmmaker Hariharan has been selected for the JC Daniel Award, the state government’s highest honour for lifetime contributions to Malayalam cinema. The award carries a purse of Rs 5 lakh, a citation, and a
- Hariharan was chosen for the prestigious award by a jury chaired by MT Vasudevan Nair with director Harikumar, actor Vidhubala, State Chalachitra Academy chairman Kamal and Cultural Department Secretary Rani George as
- Hariharan, who initially skilled with cinematographer U Rajagopal in Madras, later assisted administrators M Krishnan Nair, AB Raj, and JD Thottan for seven
- In 1972 he directed the film ‘Girls Hostel’. Later he got here up with a few of the evergreen films in
NATIONAL CANCER AWARENESS DAY: 7TH NOVEMBER
- The National Cancer Awareness Day is observed annually in India on November 7, to spread awareness on cancer, its symptoms and
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO),
cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. In 2018,
approximately 18 million cases were there globally, of which, 1.5 million were in India alone.
- In 2018, there were around 8 million cancer deaths in India against 9.5 million globally.
- The day was first observed in 2014 as and when announced by the union health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan. The day coincides with the birth anniversary of scientist Marie Curie winner of the 1903 Nobel Prize in
- National Cancer Awareness Day is often confused with the World Cancer Day which was celebrated on 4th of February with the same aims and